Chapter Twenty-Seven

"Wake up Birthday Boy. Come on." Blossom whispered in Steve's ear. Steve shifted and groaned sleepily, and Blossom pouted. Blossom ran her fingers through his hair and rested her head on his chest. Instinctively, Steve wrapped his arm around her and held her close.

"Birthday Boy wants to sleep." He mumbled, his hand resting on her stomach. Blossom sighed dramatically, and Steve opened one eye. Blossom smiled up at him, and he chuckled sleepily.

"I hate you sometimes, you know that?" Steve asked, opening his other eye and pressing a kiss to her forehead. Blossom laughed softly and sat up slightly. She hovered over him and lightly kissed all over his face, and he chuckled.

"Is this my present from you?" He asked, and Blossom kissed his cheek.

"You'll have to wait and see sweetheart. Now get upppppp!" Blossom whined playfully, gently pulling on his hand. Steve gripped her hand gently and pulled her onto his bare chest.

"You've been washed and dressed for how long already? I thought you were still in your pajamas." Steve said, and Blossom smiled.

"Not very observant this morning, are you? Now get up, we need to celebrate your birthday old man." Blossom poked his bare chest multiple times, and he groaned playfully.

"Fine, but you know that the Birthday Boy should get to sleep in." Steve said, letting go of Blossom so she could stand.

"There's always next year old man, so get up." Blossom giggled, grabbing his hand. Steve sighed and hoisted himself up and out of bed, and Blossom let go of his hand.

"Go get dressed and meet me outside the building in ten." Blossom kissed his cheek and left the room. Steve looked after her and smiled as he heard the door shut. She definitely was a mystery, but she was his mystery.

***

"Sorry I took so long, I must've misplaced my..... shoes." Steve said, but he realized he was talking to the air. His eyes went wide as he looked around, his girlfriend nowhere to be seen.

"Blossom? Where are you?" Steve called out. No response. He rushed to his bike, and he saw a note tapped to the handlebar. He pulled it off, and he noticed the swirly handwriting. It was definitely Blossom's handwriting, and he smiled. His little mystery had set up a little scavenger hunt.

'Steve, first off, happy birthday old man! Secondly, I wanted this to be fun and interesting, so Maria helped me set up a scavenger hunt during our lunch breaks. So, I can't take all of the credit, even though I want to. You won't believe how easy it was to hide your sneakers, and you won't believe how hard it was to write this and then ride to where you need to go next. First clue: Remember sending off that nuisance of a God?'

Steve grinned and put the note into his pocket. He climbed onto his bike and revved it up. He pulled out of his space and sped off towards the park where he watched Thor take his brother back home to Asgard.

***

Steve pulled up to what Thor called a 'Bifrost Portal', and he saw another note tapped to the wall by the spot. He climbed off of his bike and jogged over to the note. He pulled it off and read it carefully.

'Hey, you made it, I think. I got a couple of weird looks as I was taping this onto the wall. Anyways, remember dropping me off at work?'

Steve smiled and slipped that note into his pocket, along with the other one. He walked back over to his bike, climbed on, and started it again. He felt a wide grin spread on his lips as he started to ride towards N.Y S.H.I.E.L.D Base. As he rode over, he coudn't help but wonder what kind of surprise she had set up. He bit his lip in thought, and he hoped that she didn't go through so much trouble. The scavenger hunt was fun, and if it was leading him to her, and his prize was a kiss from her and cuddling all night, it would be even better.

***

When he pulled into the S.H.I.E.L.D parking zone, he noticed a note taped to the ground, where Blossom would normally park her bike. Steve got off of his bike and jogged over to the almost vacant parking space. He picked up the note and walked back over to his bike. He sat on it while he read the note, and a smile spread across his face.

'Hey Stevie, you've made it this far! You've almost completed my little game! Aside from all of that, do you remember the fountain in the park?'

Steve slipped the third note into his pocket and smiled wide again. He was really in love with her, and these little notes were bringing back the happy memories of not too long ago. He started up his bike again and started towards the park once more.

"I swear she has me going in circles." Steve chuckled to himself.

***

Steve made his way to the fountain, and he saw a note taped to the side of it. He pulled it off of the side, and read it carefully.

'Hey Steve, you're doing great. I swear you're almost done. I just want you to remember that I love looking at the clouds with you.'

"Clouds? What did we do that involved clouds?" Steve asked himself, pocketing the note. He bit his lip in thought, and it dawned on him.

"Got it." He said softly. He made his way to the clearing where he and Blossom had first discussed their birthdays, and he looked up at the sky. The sun was setting, and the blue of the sky was getting lighter, the clouds turning pink and light purple. He had been on this scavenger hunt all day, and he didn't mind. When he found the tree that he and Blossom were under the other day, he saw a blanket on the ground, but he didn't see his girlfriend. Instead, there was a note on the blanket. He walked over, picked it up, and read it.

'Hello Stevie Boy. You did it! You completed my silly game. I know you must be really tired, but we can't go home just yet. But, whatever you do, don't turn around.'

Steve froze, put the note in his pocket, and he did the exact opposite of what the note said. He turned around, and Blossom was right behind him. She smiled, and he took her in his arms and hugged her. Blossom set her arms around his neck and hugged him back, and she looked at the sky. It was almost perfectly dark now, which meant the fun was about to begin.

"Did you have fun?" Blossom asked, a twinkle in her eyes. Steve nodded and kissed her forehead, and he looked up at the sky.

"You made this thing last a whole day? You really are something." He whispered, and she laughed softly.

"I made it last a whole day because of a nation-wide tradition was going to happen, and this is the best place in the park to catch it." Blossom replied, and Steve tilted his head.

"Fireworks Steve! Aside from it being your birthday (which is still totally a coincidence), it's also the Fourth of July. And it's a huge barbecue day, but that's beside the point. I thought it might be fun to watch the fireworks with you, to end your birthday." Blossom said quietly. Steve smiled down at her and kissed her cheek.

"That's a great idea. Is that what the blanket's for?" He asked, and she nodded. Steve grinned, scooped her up in his arms, and carried her over to the blanket. He sat down with her in his lap, and they looked up at the sky. The first firework went off, a bright red one, and Blossom set her head on Steve's shoulder.

"Happy Birthday Steve. I hope it was a good one." Blossom whispered, and Steve looked down at her.

"The best one yet. Thank you Blossom." Steve whispered back as more fireworks went off. He wrapped his arm around her, holding her close to his chest. Blossom looked up at him, and he smiled down at her.

"Happy Fourth of July as well." Steve whispered, and he leaned down to kiss Blossom. She kissed him back just as more fireworks went off, the colors red, white, and blue. And nearby, someone was playing Lana Del Rey's American and National Anthem. Blossom smiled into the kiss as she wrapped her arms around his neck, and Steve set his hands on her waist. They could hear people cheering and clapping in the background, but that didn't matter. When they pulled away from each other, Steve set his forehead against hers.

"I love you." Steve whispered.

"I love you, too." Blossom said softly before leaning forward and kissing him again.