Chapter Nine

Steve crouched behind a overturned taxi with Natasha. 

"They're fish in a barrel down there." he said, looking at the civilians who were running and screaming for their lives. A laser was shot at them, missing Steve by centimeters. He ducked down, and Natasha stood, firing her pistols. Clint stood a little and ran to another overturned car, and he peered over the tire.

"We got this. It's good. Go." Natasha said, motioning for Steve to go down and help the people that were below the bridge.

"Do you think you can hold them off?" Steve asked, and Clint pulled out an arrow and set it on his bow.

"Captain, it would be my genuine pleasure." Clint replied, firing an arrow and hitting a Chitauri warrior in the eye. As Steve stood, Natasha did as well and began to fire her pistols again to draw any and all attention from Steve. Steve ran over to the bridge railing, leaped over it, and landed on the roof of a bus. Several Chitauri lasers fired after him, setting fire to the bus roof and causing it to explode just as he jumped off of it. He flipped midair and landed in a hero's stance before getting up and running toward the mess down the street. He jumped and slid over car hoods, he jumped off of overturned cars, and he dodged several lasers that were being fired at him. He spotted a group a police officers, and he jumped onto the hood of one of the cop cars.

"You need men in these buildings. There are people inside and they're going to be running right into the line of fire. You take them to the basements or through the subway. You keep them off the streets. I need a perimeter as far back as 39th." Steve said, and the officers looked at him.

"Why the hell should I take orders from you?" One officer asked. Before Steve could answer, another explosion happened, and two Chitauri warriors hopped up on either side of him. He used his shield to deflect the blast from one before punching it, and he wheeled around and smack the other across the face with his shield. One final warrior reached up, but Steve pried the gun from its hand with the shield and bopped him with it. 

"I need men in those buildings. Lead the people down and away from the streets. We're going to set up a perimeter all the way down to 39th Street." The officer said, and Steve went to go back into battle.

"Steve? Are you there?" Blossom's voice crackled in his ear.

"Yup, I'm here. Do you have anything I could use?" He asked her.

"No, I can't find anything. Thor wasn't bluffing when he said these fucking things aren't from any known world. I'm still trying though." She said, and he could tell she was frustrated and scared.

"Okay, thank you. I'm signing off now." He said, and the earpiece shut off. He ran back into battle, finding Natasha and Clint with a swarm of warriors. He jumped in and joined them, bashing several warriors with his shield, and several bolts of lightening shot down from the sky, shocking the rest. Thor landed afterwards, and Steve walked over to him.

"What's the story upstairs?" He asked Thor.

"The power surrounding the cube is impenetrable." He answered.

"Thor's right. We got to deal with these guys." Tony said.

"How do we do this?" Natasha asked. 

"As a team." Steve answered her.

"I have unfinished business with Loki." Thor said, and Clint adjusted his arrows.

"Yeah? Well get in line." Clint said. Steve sighed, knowing Blossom could hear all of this.

"Save it. Loki's going to keep this fight focused on us, and that's what we need. Without him, these hings could run wild. We got Stark up top. He's going to need us to..." Steve started laying out his plan, but the sound of an engine to a motorcycle rolled up, and he turned to see Bruce.

"So, this all seems horrible." Bruce said.

"I've seen worse." Natasha countered.

"Sorry."

"No, we could use a little worse."

"Stark, we got him." Steve said to Tony.

"Banner?" Tony asked.

"Just like you said."

"Then tell him to suit up. I'm bringing the party to you." And sure enough, Tony rounded the corner with the alien Leviathan trailing behind him. 

"I don't see how that's a party." Natasha said, and from what Blossom could hear, she agreed.

"Dr. Banner. Now might be a really good time for you to get angry." Steve said as he watched Bruce walk towards the monster.

"That's my secret, Captain. I'm always angry." Bruce said, and he transformed into the Hulk just in time. He swung his fist and it collided with the monster. It slowed it down and flipped it over just enough so that Tony could send a rocket directly to its soft spot. The mosnter then blew up, having everyone duck for cover. Blossom could hear the monster crash to the ground, and she heard the Chitauri snarl over its death. She heard the Hulk roar, and she smiled to herself. She had always respected the Hulk, but not out of fear.

"Steve, I'm not sure if this is a good time, but I just got a major hit. There's more of those Leviathans coming your way. I hope you're ready." Blossom said, and Steve nodded.

"Guys." Natasha said, looking up at the sky.

"Call it Captain." Tony said, and Steve took charge once again.

"All right, listen up. Until we can close that portal, our priority is containment. Barton, I want you on thhat roof. Eyes on everything. Call out patterns and strays. Stark, you got perimeter. Anything gets more than three blocks out, you turn it back or you turn it to ash." Steve said, and Tony walked over to Clint.

"Can you give me a lift?" Clint asked.

"Right. Better clench up Legolas." Tony said, grabbing Clint and flying upward.

"Thor, you got to try and bottleneck that portal. Slow them down. You got the lightning. Light the bastards up." Thor nodded, and he swung his hammer around before taking off into the air.

"You and me, we stay here on the ground. We keep the fighting here. And Hulk...," Hulk turned to face Steve, and he pointed a finger at the sky. "Smash." With that command, the Hulk grinned and launched himself into the air and latched onto a building, bashing in several warriors.

***

"Captain, none of this is going to mean a damn thing if we don't close that portal." Natasha said to Steve after being attacked and almost killed by a warrior.

"Our biggest guns couldn't touch it."

"Well, maybe it's not about guns."

"If you want to get up there, you're going to need a ride."

"I got a ride." Natasha walked away from Steve and stood across from him, just few feet away.

"I could use a boost, though."

"Are you sure about this?"

"Yeah. It's gonna be fun." Natasha ran at a car, jumped onto and off of the hood, landed on Steve's shield, and he launched her into the air. He watched as she grabbed onto a Chitauri vehicle and sped away, and several other warriors surrounded him. Tony flew in over him and landed beside him, and Steve used his shield to aim one of Tony's beams at the surrounding warriors.

"Blossom? Can you see any of this on your computer?" Steve asked, pressing his earpiece.

"All of it. I'm switching over to you, though. The others have got this. Go, I'll be able to see everything." She said, and as she signed off, a Chitauri warrior tackled Steve. He dodged its punches and knocked it over, and Clint started talking to him.

"Captain, the bank on 42nd past Madison. They've corner a lot of civilians in there."

"I'm on it." Steve registered, and Blossom watched the screen nervously. 

"Good luck, Captain. I believe in you." Blossom mumbled, panic in her voice.