Chapter 68 - Against All Odds

Chapter 68

Against All Odds

By the time they made it back towards their home, nightfall had already approached.

A brisk draft filled their residence that night, sneaking through the crevices between the hastily placed boards over the broken window's frame. The damage to the window dealt from the wolf appalled and stunned the housekeepers who managed the estate, disgruntling them as they scrambled to repair what was destroyed before the day's end approach. The rest of the repairs would have to wait until the morning. Near asleep on the couch, Temari rose when she heard the door creak open. Stepping through the doorway her widened green eyes saw the shadows of her younger brother and his partner emerge into the lamplight. Hours later, the Kazekage had finally returned with Nomasaki in one piece. Drawing her attention, she noticed something was very off about them. Standing close beside her brother, Nomasaki's eyes were dulled in shame as she stood trembling upon the cold floor, her only shield of her nakedness being his shirt that she covered herself with.

She appeared broken.

"You're back–," Temari said, shocked by the sight. "Nomasaki–! What happened to you?" Glancing to Gaara beside her, she noticed his shirt was missing. "And you - where have you been? Everyone is looking for you! The council -,"

Walking towards her, Gaara paused, his eyes worn and tired. "I'm drawing her a bath before I see the council," He spoke, his voice low. "Can you stay with her, for me? I don't want her to be left alone..."

Glancing to her friend, she saw that Nomasaki's gaze was painstakingly locked towards the floor. The violet in her eyes was strained, its vibrance mired in her inner strife. Not once in the seven years that Temari had known her had she seen her in such a state. Her once well-put-together friend and comrade was dirtied, naked, and trembling. She wondered if there was anything she could offer her, but she knew that her friendship would be a reasonable support. Keeping her calm would be the best option.

Turning back to face Gaara, she was surprised by the tone she saw within his ringed-eyes. Their usual stoic appearance was tinted with exhausted emotion, any essence of calm replaced by saddened empathy and pleading. The way he glanced towards his sister indicated his internal plea for a peaceful night. It worried her. "Alright," She nodded. "I'll be here as long as you need me."

Relieved, he gave a subtle nod, his messy head of crimson falling slightly. As he started for the hallway and disappeared from their view, Nomasaki watched the muscles shift on his back as he left, her chest light and shaking. Bringing herself to sit beside her friend on the couch of the living room, she trembled as she rested upon the warm cushions beneath. Even in the calm silence, her knees and hands still shivered from the cold that invaded her. The draft to their backs was not helping either. While Temari waited for her to speak, Nomasaki averted her glance, her pain-stricken eyes locked upon her shivering lap of pale skin.

"I'm sorry, Temari..." She spoke, her lips quivering in silence. "For what happened..."

"About what?" Temari turned, meeting the dulled glow of her gold strands. "The window?"

Giving a light smile, she tried to dissipate the sadness she sensed from her friend beside her, pushing aside the memory of the large white beast that shattered the glass. "It's not my window anymore. The housekeepers have to worry about that–,"

"What I did earlier... I didn't mean to lash out like I did..." Nomasaki whispered, hanging her head low. "I didn't see you since Naruto's wedding and this is how you come home... you see me thrashing about like some sort of... beast..."