The familiar hem of a dress peaked out from the crowd, and I recognized it as Gretel’s floral pattern.

“Gretel?” I called, picking up my pace and making my way towards the group of people.

She didn’t make a sound.

Or perhaps she did—

And it was drowned by the murmuring of the crowd.

“Gretel?” I called again, craning my neck to catch a glimpse of what was in the middle but then I remembered I was too short.

Pushing past some of the passers-by, I tried to make my way to the front—just to ask Gretel what was going on—

But then I realized that Giselle was gone.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

-Slowly-

[The one who saw from above]

Giselle held on to Gretel’s pinky, fiddling with the strap of her sling bag as she stared at the ground.

“Come on Giselle! The light’s green, let’s go,” Gretel smiled, tugging Giselle along as she lunged the groceries.

The petite girl made no response, but followed the person she thought treated her like her own sister.

Giselle never had a sister before.

But she was sure—

If she had one, she would be like this; A kind witch who refused to give her cupcakes until she had brushed her teeth.

Perhaps witches could be kind after all?

Giselle wasn’t entirely sure. She never related to the fairytales her brother had told her.

How do you determine the villain?

How do you determine the hero?

Do villains always wear black?

Do they always look ugly and inferior to the hero?

Are the heroes always the ones who look more physically attractive?

If so, Giselle felt that she herself could pass as an ugly villain.

Other kids would understand.

They could point out the villain from the hero—

Tell the Prince and the Princess—

Tell how they fell in love—

But Giselle couldn’t.

Her eyes followed a ball that bounced past her, rolling behind.

“My ball!” A boy exclaimed from opposite the sidewalk.

Giselle knew how to be a hero.

She knew that they would always come to the rescue when others needed help.

Baked LoveOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara