Chapter 3

A/N This chapter is for my wonderful best friend JapFreaky, who has always supported me. Many hearts, I hope you enjoy this chapter <3xx

Chapter 3: Fraisier, Beach, and Cupcakes

Chip's POV

It was a nice Friday afternoon. The bakery was quite empty, except for Rose at the counter and me washing trays and racks at the back kitchen.

I heard the same old jingling of the bells when a customer entered the shop and Rose greeted her usual lively ‘Welcome to Honeycutt’s, how may I help you?’

Until I heard his voice.

“Um hey, I was wondering if you guys do pre-ordered cakes…?”

It was Xander’s voice.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I dropped the metal tray I was holding onto and it fell to the floor with a loud and noticeable ‘clang’.

That caught some unnecessary attention.

“Hun? Everything alright?” Rose called into the back kitchen, but fortunately, she didn’t leave the counter.

“I-I’m fine!” I said, trying to make my voice sound as high as possible while gathering the tray and sponges.

I began to hear muttering from the bakery, which probably meant I was safe. For the moment.

I left the trays and racks under running water and tip-toed over to the door of the kitchen.

“Sorry about that—the pre-ordered cakes…” I could faintly hear Rose’s voice.

The bakery and kitchen was separated by a wooden door with a small crossed window on the upper half, which allowed those in the bakery to peek in and those in the kitchen to check the situation in the bakery.

I decided to risk it.

I popped my head just over the edge of the window, hoping to catch a glimpse of the customer.

Nuu it really is Xander!

“I would like the cake to have strawberries?” I heard him say, as if unsure. “Something that girls would like.”

My heart dropped instantly.

A cake for a girl…could it be for his girlfriend?

I sighed internally. Well of course it is! Look at him! Who wouldn’t dig that? A voice in my head said.

I slumped against the door and after several seconds of staring into space, I snapped out of the fairytale I knew would never happen.

And got back to work.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The next day, I tried to push cashier duty to Coco. I definitely did not want to risk someone from my high school finding out about the bakery. And definitely not Xander.

Although Coco had her suspicions, she was quite low about my request, and accepted it without hesitation.

I couldn’t help but think how blessed I am to have such kind and understanding sisters.