Chapter 34. Candy's Final Decision.

The coach is going at full speed. But to Candy it is not going nearly fast enough.

Why! Why didn’t you wait for me? Why didn’t you talk to me first?

These questions swarming in Candy’s head as the coach races to the Claremont Inn.

She bursts into the Inn entrance and demands to speak to the innkeeper.

“Terry Graham, where is he? Is he here? Where is he?” Candy demands to know.

The innkeeper, a bald, portly man of about fifty years old, looks at the young woman, a bit confused.

“He’s a guest here. Please sir! Is he still here? Can you please tell him I want to see him,” Candy says.

“I see,” the innkeeper says, “let me take a look.” He slowly goes through the books and records in front of him while Candy grows more and more anxious and impatient.

Finally, after going through his papers in slow motion that nearly drives Candy mad, he says, “I’m sorry

ma’am, but I’m afraid he left yesterday.”

Candy’s body falls limp and her mind goes blank.

How can you just leave like this?

While she is still trying to understand what has happened, the innkeeper says to her, “Do you happen to be Miss Candy White Ardlay? He left a letter here for someone by that name. Said to give it to her if she comes.”

Candy quickly takes the letter from him and opens it.

…………….

“Dear Candy,

I received your letter from Miss Cecilia. I understand your decision.

Please don’t worry about me.

It is hard to say goodbye. I don’t want you to feel obligated to see me again. But thank you for the four days we had together. Those four days, mean a lot to me.

I will always wish for you to be happy.

T.G.

………………..

“Did he say where he’s gone?” she asks the innkeeper meekly, not expecting that he’d know.

“No, I’m sorry, ma’am, he didn’t.” says the innkeeper. “But he’d asked us to help him buy train ticket to

New York. So I guess he went there.”

New York…

I have to go find him…

She rushes out of the hotel and heads to the train station.

The next train to New York…

She will take the next train bounded for New York. This time….this time will be different.

The next morning, Candy says goodbye to Albert, Sophia, Annie, and little Anthony as Archie prepares to drive her to the train station.

“Don’t worry, Candy. We’ll look after Aaron for you,” Annie reassures her. Candy gives her a thankful nod.

“Albert, I’m so sorry to take leave so soon just as you arrived. Our reunions are always too short.” Candy says to him as she gives him a hug.

“Good luck, Candy,” he tells her. “If you need anything…”, they look at each other, and Candy nods.

“Goodbye, Candy. Safe journey,” says Sophia.

Finally, Candy bends down to give little Anthony a hug. He is holding a light pink colored rose, and he hands it to Candy. “This is for you!” he says, in his charming little voice.