Chapter 3 Aaron's Confession

Chapter 3   Aaron’s Confession

As Candy looks out to the vast view beneath Pony’s Hill, still shaken by Terry’s letter, her thoughts turn to Aaron.

Four years ago, they were both standing here under the Father Tree when he told her his decision. Winter had arrived, and the cold wind chilled them to the bones. But it was a sunny day and they both enjoyed being outside.

"I'm going to be a country doctor," Aaron said as he and Candy watched Peter and two other children throwing snowballs at each other.

 "You won't regret missing the post in Boston? It is a very reputable hospital." Candy asked.

Aaron only smiled and did not answer.

Mrs. Haley and Cecilia Haley arrived in late spring the following year. Mrs. Haley is a fantastic dressmaker, and her services were soon in high demand. Cecilia helps Mrs. Haley run the shop, and often volunteers to help Ms. Pony and Sister Lane. Ms. Pony gets tired easily now. Cecilia and Doctor Aaron are welcomed addition to life at Pony’s Home. The children are always asking when Doctor Aaron and Cecilia are coming again.

The children aren't the only ones who love Cecilia. Jamie Lowell, a teacher at the local school, does too. When Cecilia visits Pony's Home to help out, Jamie Lowell always come along too to give the children of Pony's Home tutoring lessons.

Pony's Home is so lively now. It is a wonderful thing. Candy thought.

While Candy was constantly amused by the scenes of young ladies coming for doctor's visit on dubious illnesses, she never noticed the young doctor's eyes that only lingered on her.

Not until three years ago when Aaron finally confessed to her.

That day, Sally Morris, a local innkeeper’s daughter, came for treatment for inexplicable conditions of "irregular fluttering heartbeats."

"Is this a serious condition? Doctor Aaron?" she was uncontrollably agitated.

Aaron didn't find anything wrong with her.

But the scene was too funny and Candy could not resist teasing Aaron anymore. She came up behind where the frightened patient was seated, and asked, "What other symptoms do you feel, Miss Sally? Do you feel short of breath?"

"Uh-huh," the patient answered. Candy looked straight at Aaron, who sat across from the patient. She placed her hand on her heart, and mouthed the words "Oh Doctor Aaron you take my breath away!" and gasped.

"Do you feel flushed?" Candy continued.

"Uh-huh yes," the patient answered. Candy, still with one hand on her heart, started fanning herself with her other hand and mouthed the words "Oh Doctor Aaron please save me!"

Aaron's face started to turn red. He gave Candy a hard stare to signal her to stop. But Candy kept on goading. "And do you feel like fainting? Miss Sally?"

"Why yes I do! Oh my goodness what's wrong with me?" Sally Morris exclaimed. Candy puts her hand on her forehead, feigning faint and mouth the words, "Doctor, I'm hopelessly in love with you."

 Aaron gave Candy another hard stare to warn her to stop. Candy stuck her tongue out, and said in a grave tone, "Miss Sally, I'm afraid it may be a very serious heart condition. What do you say, doctor, does she have any hope?"

At which point Aaron had had enough. "Don't listen to her, Miss Sally. Candy doesn't know what she's talking about. Perhaps you've been overworked?" he said. "Try to relax more."

It took him half an hour of reassurance before Sally Morris calmed down enough to leave the clinic.

 As soon as she left, Candy broke out laughing and could not stop.

 "Her heart is fluttering because she's around you. My diagnosis is, we have another case of the Doctor Aaron Syndrome." Candy laughed. "She is lovesick." Candy said, putting on a demeanor of a concerned nurse. "And you, good doctor, are the only cure."

"Candy!" Aaron frowned and sighed. Then his eyes, downcast, turned tender and he said. "Candy, what if I tell you that I only want you?"

Candy was not sure if she heard right. She stared at Aaron. Her eyes blank. Her mind confused.

 "Why is this idea so strange?" Aaron looked up from his seat and their eyes met.

"Aaron...." Candy could not think of what to say. Of course she was aware he is attractive. Everyone was. But she had not think about herself that way for a long time.

Since a time she could hardly recall, (since a snowing wintery night long ago in New York,), her heart, although did not die, stopped. Like a fountain where water no longer flows. Her heart (and time) stood still.

After a while, Aaron looked away. "Think about it Candy. Maybe you'll give us a chance?" he smiled softly and said.