Chapter 18. Candy Tells Annie about Terry.

After leaving Mrs. Haley’s shop, Candy returns to Pony’s Home with Annie in Annie’s carriage. On the way, Annie tells Candy that Archie has been spending more and more time for the Ardlay family businesses, and has taken a liking to jazz music. Candy is unusually quiet.

“What’s wrong, Candy?” Annie asks. Candy has a lost expression on her face.

“Annie…I…” Candy feels her voice choking in her throat. Annie looks at her, curious.

“I saw Terry today.” Candy says, her voice perturbed. Annie thinks she heard wrong.

“You saw Terry? How? What do you mean?”

“He sent me a letter weeks ago. I didn’t answer it, so he came here.”

Annie raises a hand to her mouth.

“How long has he been here?”

“I don’t know. He came looking for me at Pony’s Home yesterday. I went to see him today…I told him that I’m engaged. But when he asked me if I can say no to him, I couldn’t.” Candy says, almost crying now.

“Candy!” says Annie. She puts her hand on Candy’s arm. “What are you going to do?”

“I don’t know,” Candy answers.

Both of them are speechless. Suddenly the air becomes silent.

Finally, Candy says, “Mrs. Haley was so happy just now.”

Nothing more is said by the two of them for the rest of the way home. Only the sound of the horse trotting continues.