Rose of Anzio - Moonlight: Chapter 4 Excerpt

An unusually heavy fog clouded the Port of Southampton the morning she left England.

"I'm sorry we can't leave with you," her father said. "England is my country and I am needed here. You understand, right?"

She tried to hold back her tears. The night before, he had explained he would be going on another tour to perform for the British troops. He told her entertainment was vital to keep the soldiers' morale up. He said it was important that he did his part when others were fighting to keep England safe.

"Then I should stay. England is my country too."

"No. You're still young. You'll be safer in America." In recent months, the German U-boats had been edging closer and closer.

"Then why can't Mother come? She's not British."

"Tessa," her mother said, "that's a childish question. You know why. If things get worse, people may get hurt, and they'll need my help. Besides, I don't want to leave your father here all alone."

"But I don't want to go to America." She stared over at Uncle William, who was standing off to the side to let them say their private goodbyes.

"I promise you'll like it." Her mother put on a cheerful face. "Your Uncle William will take very good care of you. You'll like him. And you'll finally get to see the place where I grew up."

"When will I see you again?"

"We don't know, but very soon we hope." Her father reached into his pocket and brought out a jewelry box. "We have a present for you." He opened it. Inside was a lady's gold watch.

She took the watch, a Bulova with a solid rose gold case and rubies set into the bezel. It had indigo-colored hands shaped like the nib of a fountain pen.

"You asked when you'll see us again. We can't tell you the precise date, but it'll only be a matter of time." He took her by the shoulders. "I want you to remember that every time you look at this watch."

Holding the watch in her hand, she could not hold back her tears anymore.

"Don't cry." Her father gave her a hug. "Here. Put it on. Let's see how it looks."

She put the watch on, but it didn't make her feel any better.

"It's beautiful," her mother said. "Remember, darling, it'll only be a matter of time before we see each other again."

Uncle William led her away toward the ramp where the passengers embarked.

She turned around one more time before she boarded the ship. Her father had his arm around her mother and they both waved to her. She wanted to run back to them, but each step she took led her farther and farther away.

"Come along, Tessa. It's time to go." Uncle William put his hand on her back and urged her along.

On the rear deck of the ship, she watched the view of coastline shrink out of her sight. When she could see the port no more, she went to the bow to watch the ship head out to the open sea. The sea was so wide. She couldn't see what was ahead beyond the horizon. She felt so small in an ocean that went on without end...

~ End of Excerpt ~

Rose of Anzio Book One - Moonlight

https://amzn.com/B01AXTIFWC