Chapter 17: Winter

My mind feels like it's stuck in a fog and I have a hard time making a clear view of my surroundings. I want to wake up but my eyes stay shut. It's so quiet, I haven't felt this kind of peace in so long I've forgotten what it was like.

One thing that is different, is this incoming heat that I can't shake off. I am usually very cold, not that it every bothered me but I'm always cold. Although, I admit the warmth... it's unlike anything I've ever felt. I merely want to get close to this source of heat. It engulfs my whole body in a warm cocoon: it's not hot, my body simply feels cool, like a fresh breeze from the morning air.

My body's reaction moves closer to the source. From my clouded mind, I snuggle my body further into it. It's a body, a hard body, suddenly memories of that damn night attacks me and I'm reminded of the monster that lays next time. With much needed force to my eyes, I open them immediately as see myself closer to the Alpha than I ever intended.

I'm frozen with fear, paralyzed at the thought of ever sleeping next to him. But I shouldn't have expected him to know that my boundaries are anywhere but near him. I try to move away but his arms have wrapped themselves around my body. We're so close, closer than I like, but his eyes are closed and his breaths are even. There is no sign of anger or hatred on his face, only peace.

Is this what it feels like to be near your mate without violence?

"Why are you staring at me little one?" It's not Midas, it's his Lycan. There's a difference win the tone of their voice. There's an animalistic growl each time he speaks.

"Why are you here with me?" Strange to ask but it's all I could think of. He sighs deeply, even snorting, it sounds like annoyance. Did he want to continue sleeping?

"We will speak when I'm ready to awaken. For now, just be here with me Winter." He's never done anything wrong to me. That night was all Midas actions, not his, if he is here than I am to assume I can relax around him?

"Why do you want to be here with me?" A Lycan can only come out with the permission of their skins. Why would Midas give his Lycan full reign? Minutes pass us by, and I'm still next to him. To his body, his Lycan stays asleep, when I try to move, his Lycan stops me and growls lowly.

"Do not move if you're not ready for the actions that will take place. I still want you Winter..." this truth makes me blush, embarrassed that I could possibly turn him on, his Lycan. Would it be worse with him or would it be different? He's hesitant, warns me so I don't regret my moves. A very calculating thought, yet I can hear the caring timbre that vibrates within him.

I lay my head underneath his chin, I do something that I know will probably bite me in the ass. I let myself be at peace with his Lycan. I let my mind shut down from all warnings that screams at me. Snuggling my body even closer to him, I absorb as much heat. I don't know when I will ever feel like this again.

"Do you have a name beast?" He hums on my head, I can feel the smirk form.

"No, I am him but not him. So my name would be his."

"No..." it was quiet for a minute, his Lycan moves my head to look into my eyes. His are confused by my answer.

"No?"

"You're nothing like him, you haven't hurt me. There's no malice, no war that wants to wreak havoc. You're not him." They're different from each other, such opposites.

"I am still him, he is still me. We simply have different approaches. Some we don't agree on. But he is in control even if I'm on the forefront."

"Did you enjoy the taking?" He was silent, his brows form into a confused frustration. He must be talking to Midas.