Chapter 5: The Past

The king and queen of Illiyiad, Stefan and Irene reigned for centuries beyond any human years. They were not human at all, they were otherworldly. Neither Lycan nor fae nor human, yet they wield such magnificent powers of the wilds.

King Stefan had knowledge, wisdom, and strength of a warriors heart while Queen Irene has the power of seasons whenever she wanted; magic, intelligence, and harmony.

The two pairing made a perfect peace brought upon the kingdom. Despite their true nature, everyone took their rule as infinite, human and supernatural.

They were kind yet firm, merciful yet strong, their kingdom lived in prosperous peace with the blessings of the moon goddess, Selene.

However, the King and Queen could not give birth to any child for they were also cursed by Odin, who spit in the name of Selene, he believed wolves do not need a king or queen to rule them but an Alpha and Luna.

He created the werewolves that would havoc ruin amongst King Stefan kingdom.

"I, Odinson, god of wisdom, magic, and death, curse the king and queen to ever bore a son! If they do, their son will meet death by my hands!" With the curse of not being able to bred a son to inherit the kingdom. The king and queen lose hope for they do not know nor understand the inability to birth a son.

*

*

Irene cries out in pain as her body pushes with all her might to give life for her child. Unfortunately, her pup passes before he could breathe air. King Stephan watches in pain as they whisk away his stillborn son away form his mates eyes.

"What shall we do? I can't keep doing this Stefan." Irene whispers tearfully as the wet nurse whisks the unborn boy to elsewhere. King Stefan bends to kiss his queen on the forehead in mourning with her. This is the third time they lose a son all because a god did not agree with their ruling.

"I'm sorry my love, I don't know why this is happening." Stephan had no idea what other forces were out jeopardizing their ruling but their lives had changed for the better.

In the glowing haze that brightens out their window, a womanly figure appears before them, three in fact, Artemis, Hecate, and lastly, Selene. Selene intervenes and whispers to Irene's ears only and says,

"On winters eve, I shall bless you with a child. Though you may never give birth to a son, you will give birth to a daughter for she will become the greatest queen Illiyiad will ever witness. She will take reign of not only the supernatural and humans, but she will be in control of the Lycans' that are an affliction from Odin."

The king and queen stare in fascination, Irene could hear the three women whisper but could not make out anything they say. King Stefan couldn't hear anything but he looked on in fascination. When the three goddesses left them to be, the two felt this electrifying air of perseverance and peace. It was never told to them who they were but they understood, those women were divine intervention.

Later on, as the queen regains her health, King Stefan and Queen Irene did not take long in trying one more time for another child. With the blessing from Selene, Artemis, and Hecate; the lunar goddesses, the king and queen were able to produce a daughter who is later named Winter, for she was born with cold skin with hair white as snow. Worried for the health of their child, Irene prays for answers from Selene.

"Oh dear goddess of the moon, why is my child's skin so cold as winter and her hair so white? Has my child fallen ill? Has Odins will be so powerful that it would harm my only child?" These fears and doubts crept inside Irene's heart but Selene, came to answer to ease a mother's worry.

"Fear not Irene, your child is blessed but with a blessing, Odin has taken the initiative to curse your daughter that her skin will forever be deathly cold. Her skin kissed by Winter snow but do not worry, for he only cursed sons death but never expected a woman."

"What does it all mean my goddess?" Irene asks, she needs answers for she could not fathom a curse on her daughter.

"It means men, especially Odin and his beasts... should fear what is to come from your child."

With that, silence was met to Irene, words of mystery she couldn't understand how men could possibly fear her daughter. But this is her goddess, Selene has never strayed her to a path she couldn't do. She knows that her daughter will also be whatever vessel Selene needs her to be.

*

*

Those several months brought more harmony with the king and queen and the whole kingdom felt the joy of an offspring becoming the next ruler of Illiyiad.

However, news of their daughters life survived the winter curse was heard by Odin. In anger, he lashed out and commands his nefarious Lycans to take down the kingdom, kill the king and queen and bring their child's head to him. If they complete all three tasks in one years time, he will give them the power to never die just as the king and queen had lived for so long.

The Lycans took this seriously, infiltrated the king and queens court taking note of all the information they could get to do a take over. A betrayal was amongst sooner than the king had thought.

*

*

One year later, on the night of their daughters first birthday, the Lycans took the opportunity to take action. While the royal family celebrate, distracted from taking notice of the enemies intent.

Blood was shed, the kingdom was destroyed and the king was killed. Fortunately, there was help. Selene intervenes once again to help Irene escape with Winter to find solace elsewhere.

However, Odin's Lycan proved to be much stronger than Selene had ever imagined.

"Oh goddess, what shall I do?" Irene prays to the moon in the sky. Searching for any answer from her goddess. She holds onto a sleepy Winter, her sweet baby who sleeps unaware of the chaos that surrounds her.

"A few more miles you will see a large home, a community filled with wolves that are unlike the Lycans. They too have structure just as Odin wanted it to be, but they obey me. Leave Winter with them, leave her this letter in her blanket and tell the family to take care of her."

Irene did what she says, she followed Selene's instructions but when she came close to the wolves home. She stopped midway, these steps were made for her daughter but she is not in them.

"What of me Selene? Will I not see my daughter?" There was a moment of silence between the queen and goddess. Irene knew the answer, she must sacrifice her life to protect her daughters.

"I can only save Winter, we need her to take back the kingdom if you want it to be reborn again." With a single tear from Irene, it falls onto the rosy cheeks of Winter's cold face. She leaves her daughter nested in her bundle of blankets and leaves her child behind so the Lycans can hunt her down instead.

Irene runs and runs from the hunt of the Lycans, they track her down and begin to taunt her, nipping at her sides, her feet; tired and forlorn at the thought of her lost kingdom, her dead king and husband but the thought of never seeing her daughter brought a gruesome heart ache. As she layed down staring up to the moon as the Lycans devour her form. Her last whisper to the air was Winter.

One day, her daughter will rise and take hold of their kingdom. And every man, woman and child; fae, supernatural, and celestial will know who her daughter is.

Winter is here.

Background: I hope you guys enjoyed the inside of what happened before winter was found by Midas. Let me know your thoughts in the comments.