Chapter 14 - Fades To Black

It didn't take me long to track down Kate Argent. When tall, handsome werewolves with incredible icy blue eyes didn't distract me, I was actually good at my job. I hadn't heard from Peter and I hadn't tried to contact him. Derek also hadn't rang me or tried to get into contact since last night either. He would know by now and it was probably a good thing I was on my own or else it would just end in a fight. Peter was proof of that last night, not that I helped the situation.

Kate was staying at a hotel in the middle of Beacon Hills and I was standing outside her room. It had taken me half the day to track her down, but I managed. I wasn't sure if she planned to make a move tonight. The rest of Derek's family were coming over and it seemed the most logical if her plan was to wipe them out, but I wasn't sure yet.

I knocked on the door and about 30 seconds later she opened it.

"What the hell are you doing here?" She said as if she knew who I was and she probably did, but only my cover. To her I was Peter Hale's girlfriend and Derek's friend.

"My name is Selene. Selene Corbeau."

"Corbeau? Sweetheart, if you're going to lie to me you might want to come up with something believable. The Corbeau's were killed over a decade ago."

"Twelve years, almost exactly." I stated, "And all but one died. Araya Calavera raised me and she sent me here. She wanted to know for certain what kind of pack the Hales were and when I saw you I knew you were up to something. Especially when I saw you with Derek Hale. If you have proof that the pack is hiding something that should result in their death then I would like to help." I didn't want to help, but I had to find out someway.

"Come in." She stepped aside. Once I was inside Kate took up a seat at the table in the main room of her high-end hotel room. "What makes you think I'm up to something? I could be simply collecting information, just as you are."

"We're both hunters here, Kate. How about we make an agreement not to lie to one another."

"Okay, sweetheart. You want the truth. Here it is. The Hale family are werewolves and hunters hunt. That's what I'm doing. I've just been waiting for the opportune moment. I've also been observing, much better than you have. I know you're dating Peter Hale."

"Much like you're dating Derek? We're both working, sweetheart." I said with a bitter edge over the pet name she continued to use.

"I think I might like you."

"You aren't answering my question. Does what you're planning to do follow the code or not? If not... don't worry because I'm not a Calavera, not really. Werewolves killed my family, I'm not going to do anything to protect their kind. I just need to know that what you're going to do isn't going to backfire on me. If the Calaveras find out I helped with an illegal plan than they'll probably kill me or lock me away for the rest of my life."

"And yet you're still offering to help?"

"Just a small life's lesson... if you want something done correctly – do it yourself. Don't trust others."

She smiled. "Very well." Kate stood up and walked around the room. "The Hales are werewolves and no werewolf deserves to live. Why should we wait for them to harm innocents before killing them when we can take them out now and spare the lives of their future victims? Derek told me his family were getting together tonight. I'm going to take them out in one swoop. A tragic house fire." She said with a sadistic smile. "However I'm afraid it's all planned and I have no use of you."

"Care to elaborate on that plan?" Kate again walked around me this time stopping behind my back.

"And why would I do that when you would just run off to your wolf boy. Did you really think I would believe you? I've seen you with him and I can spot a lie from a mile away. You're not here to help me... you're here to save him... and I can't let that happen."

I spun around just in time to catch her wrist before the handle of her gun made contact with my skull. I kicked my leg forward into her stomach and she stumbled backwards. She pulled her gun forward to fire, but I jumped behind the closest wall.

"You can't save them, Selene. You can't save Peter and when he finds out who you really are you'll soon discover how loyal he really is." I grabbed the gun from my belt and jumped out from behind the wall, firing it into her arm, causing her to drop her own gun. We both had silencers on the end of the barrels; it was something all hunters were taught to avoid drawing attention.

Kate pulled out a knife from inside her jacket and spun it around her hand. She ran forward just as I fired again, but she dodged my shot as I dodged her swing. I was forced to throw the gun aside to grab hold of the knife and pry it from her grip also tossing it aside with the gun, leaving us with hands on fighting. She threw a punch and I blocked it with my forearm. On and on it went, predicting each other's moves and blocking or dodging. Eventually I managed to kick Kate's legs out from under her.

"Not bad for a school girl." She grunted. "But if you want to keep up with the pros you might want to keep a plan B weapon with you at all times." Her hand whipped out into her nearby handbag and before I had time to register a syringe was plunged into my leg.

A little too late, I slapped her hand away and lunged forward, my fingers wrapping around her throat in what I thought was enough strength to strangle, but she only smiled as she easily pulled my hand back and pushed me down. It felt like I was drunk as I fell onto my back and feebly tried to stand up, but only slipped again and found myself on my back.

The room began to spin as my sight doubled before fading to black.