Chapter 3 - White Knight

I left quickly and quietly, finding my way back to my car, but I drove into town instead of going home and rang Araya on the way to fill her in on what I'd seen.

"Kate Argent isn't like most hunters." She said. "She is impulsive and a quick draw, you can't trust her."

"I don't plan to trust her, Araya, or tell her who I am, but I need to know what she'd doing. If she's planning an attack on the Hales I have to intervene."

"You don't have to."

"I do if they're innocent. It's the code." I stated.

"I don't see how you can find out her plan without telling her who you are." She said. "If you tell her you're a hunter and threaten to stop whatever it is she's doing, she will reveal who you are to Derek and he will tell his family."

"His family don't know about Kate..."

"Kate isn't lying to him about who she is. He will tell them and with the Hale's history with the Argents they will more likely trust her over a Calavera."

"Maybe that's not a bad thing. I'm telling you Araya the Hales aren't bad, they haven't hurt anyone. Maybe if I told them who I am and about Kate I can warn them. They'd be idiots not to at least consider it!"

"It's too risky. Werewolves have short tempers, bitten or born, if you tell them they might turn on you."

"I could send Talia a Facebook message?" I teased.

"Don't joke, Selene." She replied in her usual unamused tone. "Keep the undercover going and watch Kate, see if you can get Derek to tell you about her." She said and hung up.

I groaned at her and threw my phone on the passenger's seat. I made it to my favourite café that was open until midnight every night and entered with my laptop. Unfortunately I had schoolwork to do. Yes I had to actually do school work. I would have had to do it in Mexico anyway considering I hadn't graduated yet. I was actually a senior though, but Araya had enrolled me as a junior so I could be in Derek's grade, which I was really mad about.

I pulled out my laptop and started on my English assignment. This place made the best coffee, which is all that could get me through study hence why I sat here to do my homework. They also had a big oversized couch that was a thousand times more comfortable than the sad little chair in my living room. The free Wi-Fi was an added bonus.

I was sitting there for about 3 hours at least listening to music, catching up on homework, sending a few emails to other hunters and re-reading the electronic version of the profiles Araya had given me for the tenth time, particularly Kate Argent's. By the time I decided to leave I had drunk three coffees, all with different flavouring, and I don't even want to know how many slices of banana bread I had eaten. It was dark outside and I had parked my car a few blocks down due to a lack of parking when I arrived, but it was pretty well completely cleared out now.

I made my way down the street and could feel someone following me. When I turned around I saw three shady looking guys and inwardly groaned. When I turned back around I could see them quicken their pace in the back windscreen of a car just in front of me. I had three options. The first was run to my car, which was still a fair distance away, and drive off quickly, but I wasn't one to run from a fight. The second was pretend like I didn't notice and wait for them to catch up and then kick their ass in the middle of the street, but that was a little suspicious, I was meant to be acting as the innocent 17 year old. The third option was to duck into the dark alleyway about 10m in front of me and then kick their ass where no one would see.

I made a turn into the alley and waited for them to catch up, placing my laptop and bag on the ground so they would be safe and grabbing out my keys, putting them between my fingers as I balled my hand into a ready fist. They were human so I couldn't exactly grab my knife from my boot or gun from my handbag and stab or shoot them. I had to do this amateur style.