Chapter 4 - Cold Steel Blue

I spent the entire next day thinking about Peter. I shouldn't have told him about my family. I was probably being paranoid, but what if he put the pieces together? He was certainly smart enough to do it.

"Hey, baby, what's you sign?" He said with a smirk as he took up a seat next to me. We were at Derek's basketball game. Basketball didn't really interest me, but it was a full moon and I had to keep an eye on Derek, and apparently Peter now as well.

"Dead End." I smirked back. "Got out of family night easily?"

"Took a bit of explaining and an overuse of Derek's puppy eyes, but yes." He said just as the crowd begun to roar with cheers and jump out of their seats as the teams walked into the gym. "Not a basketball fan, are you?"

"Is it that obvious?" I laughed.

"Don't worry, I'll walk you through it when the game starts."

My eyes flicked from each player until they landed on Derek. "He seems agitated." I said.

"I told you he always got nervous before a game." Peter said as he waved the person selling drinks over to us and bought two. "Coke?" He asked as he handed the drink to me.

"You know I always thought I was a difficult person to read."

"You are, I'm just really good." He said in a teasing tone.

The game finally started and the crowd begun cheering again. Peter explained what was happening so I could follow what was going on and I picked it up pretty fast. I watched Derek's every move. His passes and shoots seemed a little aggressive, but he wasn't shifting. Peter, on the other hand, seemed in complete control. It was easier for born wolves to control themselves both in general and under the full moon, but it didn't make it a walk in the park. Derek was a young hormonal teenage boy and tonight was the full moon. On top of that he was playing a sport. His blood was pumping and he was a very competitive person.

Derek's team won the game and I decided to jump up and scream with everyone else. Peer looked at me curiously so I pulled him up out of his seat. "Cheer, you buzz kill, you used to be captain in your school days, didn't you? Support your old team."

"And how do you know that?"

"You're not the only one who can read people, darling." 'And because it's written in the profile I have of you,' I thought. He rolled his eyes, but managed a clap. Once the teams were given their leave Derek took off in front of everyone into the boy's locker room. "Is he alright?" I asked, knowing full well what was happening.

"Yeah, he's fine. I have some proud uncle-ing to do, but I'll see you in a bit?"

"Can't I do some proud friend-ing while you do your proud uncle-ing?"

"Not unless you want to come into the boy's locker room while all the guys are hot and sweaty and their sex drive it shot through the roof." He said.

"Good point, I should probably chill out by the car." Peter nodded and then quickly went after Derek.

I waited until I couldn't see him anymore and then followed after, keeping my distance. In the hallways the players were running around, cheering as they were leaving for their cars, probably going to the party that everyone had been talking about at school. I had just made it to the door of the locker room when one of Derek's idiot friends came up to me.

"Hey, Selene. Coming to the party?" I had to sit with Derek's friends at lunch and morning tea so they probably thought I was their friend as well, but I couldn't care less. I played along with their teenage dramas, but it was the furthest thing from my mind.

"Not tonight, Eric, I don't think."

"Derek's not coming either. You two aren't secretly dating are you?"

"No, don't be ridiculous." I was getting impatient. I needed to see what was happening with Derek and Peter. "You should go, Eric, or you'll be late for the party."

"Eric, baby, you coming?" His girlfriend, Darby, said coming up to us. "Hey, Selene."

"Yeah, I'm coming. Just trying to convince Selene to join us."

My leg started to tense impatiently. What was I meant to do? Shove past them rudely? No. Play along. "You're not coming?" Darby whined. "But we won, you have to."

"Okay, I'll see if I can show up later, but I have to do a couple of things first."

"Great." She chirped while Eric smiled widely. I couldn't help the sigh of relief after they'd left.

I opened the door to the locker room, just enough so I could hear what was going on inside. "Alpha, Beta, Omega." Derek was repeating. I snuck inside and peeked around the corner. Derek was clutching onto a round, flat object repeating those three words over and over again trying to gain control. Focus. That's what Peter was teaching him. I was willing to bet the object was a Triskelion. Derek let out a roar as his eyes begun to glow and then collapsed to the ground in defeat.

My breath hitched as I quietly stumbled back out into the corridor and rested my back against the cold wall.

Blue. Not gold. Blue.

Derek's eyes were a cold, steel blue. He had taken an innocents life.

Derek Hale was a murderer.