Chapter 13: Noises and New Homes

Friday, 11th of March 1988

A sixteen year old Billie Joe sat on his bed, pages from his notebook spread around him and his guitar balanced across his lap as he chewed on his lip. Mike sat in his 'permanent' spot in Billie's room, next to the bed and against the wall. Ollie often joked that if he sat there long enough, there'd be a Mike shaped dent in the floor.

Things had gotten better recently, Billie's step dad was hardly on the scene, he had moved to be closer to work so Ollie went to him instead. Mike had also moved in, his Mom just couldn't afford the rent any more, even with three jobs. So she decided to take an opportunity and move, considering Mike's sister Myla had left home at the age of 13, when Mike was only 9. She asked Mike if he wanted to come with her, and he had thought it over.

The counsellor at school who is supposed to educate you about the types of jobs you would suit told Mike he should sell cars for a living. Not surprisingly, Mike decided to decline this, and give the whole music thing a go. Since then, he had basically threw himself into playing bass and he was serious about it.

When his Mom moved, Mike lived in the back of his step dad's truck (which his step dad was probably unaware of) since his step dad stayed in Rodeo. It was getting cold at this point and when Ollie had found out where Mike had been staying, she nearly had a stroke. Mike was quickly invited to be part of the Armstrong household.

This was amazing for the boys, as since Billie was the youngest of six, his siblings were too old to be at home full time anymore, so it was normally Ollie, Billie Joe and Mike. His siblings rooms were kept the same in case they wanted to stay over at their Mom's so Mike's room was the basement, but every night either Mike would sneak upstairs or Billie would sneak downstairs.

Sometimes they met half way.

Currently, the boys were in total comfortable silence as Billie tried to get his thoughts onto paper and into the form of a riff. Mike let out a contented sigh and stretched. School had been okay today, and Ollie had made lasagna for dinner which was Mike's favourite.

Billie had been quiet all day. Mike had hugged him at school and someone had called them 'fags'. This was one of the times where Mike and Billie's personality differences could be clearly seen. Mike, being more laid back, had simply looked at the boy and shrugged. And that was it. Billie however, was more of a hot head. He had flipped the boy off which started a fight that Mike had to end. Mike may be laid back but he sure could fight if Billie needed him to.

And Billie had barley spoke a word since. Mike picked at his E string, pressing down on each fret as he made his way down the guitar neck. He did this repeatedly as Billie tapped his pen, the clock ticked and the fridge hummed. Downstairs the sounds of the TV could be heard as a low murmur through the floor. Cars passed by the road, people walked by outside.

Billie always did this, he always listened to noises like this. He was fascinated by the noises of just plain boring life.

All noises intrigued him. The way the house was silent yet loud, the hallways of school were empty yet noisy, the way that he could tell what mood Mike was in simply by the way he said 'Billie'.

Mike.

He took this opportunity to look over at his friend. He was still making the same noise on his bass, eyes closed now. Billie looked at the clock and realised it was way too late. He gave Mike a nudge with his toe and they settled into bed together, Mike suddenly too tired to pretend to go downstairs.

The pair curled into each other, fitting like jigsaw pieces as they fell asleep.