Chapter 29: You Let One Thought Into Your Mind...

When I gained contousness, I was tied to a tree.

It actually took me a few seconds to relieze this. I tried to move my arms, but I couldn't, then I felt the bark under my fingers and put two and two together and then Hey, I'm tied to this stupid tree!

Then it took me another minute to relize, Oh, I'm captured! Yup, me being the fantastic observer I am...

A face jumped out in front of me. Dipper. Wait... no... Bill. He had that look to him. It had to be Bill.

"Morning, kid," Bill said. "You where out for a while."

"Kayla!" Mabel said. She sounded close. I turned my head in the direction of her voice. I saw her legs sticking out from a little to my left. "Are you okay?" She asked.

"Fine,"I said in a weak voice.

Bill turned to talk to Gideon and I couldn't catch what they where saying. "Mabel!" I whispered.

"Yes?" She asked.

"You okay?"

"Fine," she said. "I was a little worried when you fainted. I thought there was something wrong with you."

"Nope," I said. "Just too much blood leaving my head. I'm fine, really. What did they do to you when I was gone?"

"Nothing much but trying to get me to hand over information about the journal. I told them only Dipper had memorized it, and Bill said he was somehow keeping the information hidden." Mabel sighed. "Kayla, I'm worried about Dipper. What if its too much this time?"

"It won't be!" I said quickly. "Dipper's a lot stonger then he looks. And he's pretty good at withholding information."

The ropes seemed to loose some of the strain.

Bill walked back over to us. "Tell me, who else are you working with?"

I tried for a blank expression. "What are you talking about."

"Come on," Bill said. "I know you're working with someone else. Its clear, if you really don't know where the book is."

"Who knows," I said. "Maybe I destroyed it."

"After trying to hide it?" Bill asked. "Not likely."

"Oh, really?" I asked. "You ever heard of an iPod touch? There's a camera on it, and I could have easily just took a picture of all the pages then destroyed the actual journal."

"You're lying," Bill said. "The book means too much to you. Remember? I know what you're thinking right now."

I swollowed. I'd forgoten about that. I had to keep Stan out of my mind.

"Stan?" Bill asked. Dang it.

I didn't say anything. "Ha!" Bill said. "I knew you where working with someone!"

I mentally facepalmed myself, because I couldn't do it in real life. I couldn't do a simple thing like keep things off my mind! I felt pretty useless at the moment.

Bill stood up. "Well," he said. "I'll have to go find Stan and bring him here. I'll get him to tell me where the journal is."

"Grunkle Stan will never tell you!" Mabel yelled.

"You sure about that?" Bill asked, leaning in front of her.

"...yes," Mabel said hesitently.

"Ha!" Bill laughed. "This'll be easy. Once I tell him that his precious neice and nephew are in danger, he'll be begging me to bring him here. I'll have to leave good ol' Pinetree behind, this time."

A triangular shadow left Dipper, and his eyes rolled back in his head and he collapsed. Gideon was soon there and grabbed Dipper's limp body. "I'll get my revenge with you later, boy," he said to Dipper's unconsus form. "But for now..." Gideon dragged Dipper to a tree right in front of Mabel and me, then started to tie him up. "You won't be getting out of this one Dipper," Gideon said. "Not this time."