8: Uh Oh Spaghetti O's

Disclaimer: This chapter is not sponsored by Campbell's (or anyone or anything). It is, however, food for the soul. That is, if a dementor hasn't taken the food — or the soul (same difference for them, though) — first.

Summary: Exciting things happen here — after Sirius has yet another internal crisis (someone help this man)

Harry and Ron were idiots. That was the conclusion Sirius had come to weeks ago. Dancing around each other, acting all shy when they touched, gazing at the other when they weren't looking... Merlin's pants, they were idiots!

Sirius had expected they'd arrive hand in hand with the sun setting behind them because life was beautiful and totally fair and no one was ever in pain and —

Okay, you miserable mutt, calm down, Sirius scolded himself. I swear, you're acting more anxious than they are.

No kidding, he shot back. Someone needs to have a happy ending. And it's gonna be Harry and Ron. And me — once I catch that stinking rat.

He stopped pacing and sighed. Arguing with himself. That was definitely not a sign of madness at all. Sirius sat down with a dull thump and looked up at the darkening sky.

James, if you're out there... tell your son to hurry the fuck up and confess his undying love for his Ron. He was clearly good at it; how else would Sirius and Remus gotten together?

He could almost hear James' snort. Padfoot, buddy, there's this little obstacle that's preventing me from communicating with Harry. It's called death.

Sirius groaned. Yeah, and I bet you still reek.

The crunching of gravel had him sitting up. He could hear two sets of feet.

"Snuffles?" called Harry. "You there?"

Sirius trotted out into the open, tail wagging. Had they done it? Had they told each other how mad they were for each other? How they couldn't live without the other by their side? They weren't holding hands, but that didn't mean they hadn't, right? Right?

Ron was the one who gave Sirius the food this time. "Sorry we're late. We couldn't get away."

Sirius dived in. The scraps he'd pick up from Hogsmeade weren't as delicious and filling as those from Hogwarts.

"By the way..." Harry went on, giving Ron a sidelong glance.

Sirius sat up taller, alert now, the strip of bacon dangling from the side of his mouth. He quickly swallowed it and stared at them intently. Could it be...?

"It was so embarrassing," said Ron, ears red. "We started to tell each other at the same time —"

"— and then tried to let each other go first, which made it even more confusing —" Harry added.

"Blimey, we were talking like my brothers."

"We're talking like them now!"

Sirius let out a whine. Spit it out already!

"We said we liked each other!" Harry burst out.

Sirius kneaded the ground with his paws. Yes... yes...

Ron's whole face was red now. "We're gonna try this relationship thing. But we want to keep it a secret for at least a little while."

Yes... yes... YES!!

Unable to contain himself any longer, Sirius let out a joyful yelp and bowled Harry over, covering his face with slobbery licks.

"Hey, hey, watch the hair! It's already messy enough!" Harry protested, but he was laughing.

Behind them, Ron was laughing too. Then he broke off abruptly. Sirius barely had time to wonder what had shut him up when he heard a new voice.

"Sirius Black, remove yourself from Harry at once."

Coldness slammed down inside Sirius as if a swarm of dementors had swept over him. He raised his head to see a wand pointed at his face, then up at the wizard holding it.

It was Remus Lupin.

Dun... dun... dun...

(Just... pretend I didn't spoil this on my message board.)