Chapter 10: Painful Posters and Asker- Outers

"Clarke."

"Zola."

"What do you want?"

"I came to talk to you."

"No shit sherlock. What do you want to talk to me about?"

"About the date."

"I'm sorry Clarke, but I can't."

I try to push past him, but being the ninja he is, he blocks me.

He looks into my eyes, trying to read my expression, but I stay passive.

"I told you Clarke, I can't."

"You have to believe me, Zola. I really like you."

"I don't really know you enough to like you Clarke. I've been avoiding you for the past three months!"

"Then get to know me." His eyes pleading with mine.

He looked so weak and desperate.

My expression softened.

Then I thought the better of it.

"Listen Clarke, I don't like you. You seem like a nice guy and all, but you're not for me." I say firmly.

Hi Zola! Thank you for getting your game face on!

"Oh but you are, dear Zola. You'll see." Then he mysteriously walked away, just like that.

***

"And he just left you standing there?!!" Echo's face was a contrast to her hair.

"Yup." I said, popping the 'p', "Totally stumped."

"B-but he can't do that!!!"

"Well, he kinda did."

"Thank you Captain Obvious. He can't do that. That was just rude!!!"

Echo and I were currently doing our chemistry poster in science class.

"What else do we know?... Uh, liquids and gases are involved."

I write down the fact in orange marker.

"You know Zola, you could be the next Einstein with that answer."

I turn around to find Karl, the shortest kid in our class, (so short even an eight year old seems like a giant) shaking his head at me.

"Really Karl?! As if you've done better!" I sneer, taking a peek at his work. "Because all I see is a D minus."

I turn back around to Echo, who looks like she's seen herself in the morning.

"What?"

"Remind me not to get on your bad side."  Then, she turns back to colouring the title as if nothing happened.

And they say I'm weird.

Today was the last day of school before the Christmas holidays and everyone was pumped for two weeks of freedom.

"Hey Zola! I got some news." Nicole came and sat down next to me.

"What?" I never get news!

Usually I'm never a point of interest in school.

"I hear Clarke's going to ask you to the Christmas dance tonight."

"What?!" I gasped.

"Seriously?!" Echo exclaimed and it wasn't one of those I'm-so-happy-for-you exclamations.

It was more like an I'll-strangle-you-till-you-can't-breathe exclamations.

"Yeah! Really and seriously,-" Nicole paused and her eyes trail to look behind me.

Echo follows her gaze and glowers in the direction, you can practically see the steam coming out from her ears.

I turn around and see Clarke leaning against the door frame of my class door.

"Well, it's class time, he can't talk to me." I say,smugly.

Nicole and Echo looked at me as if I was missing something.

"What?" I question.

"He can talk to you if class time ends in about 1 minute!" Echo exclaimed.

"Jesus, why does class have to stop now?!"

The alarm sounded and the rest of the class stampeded into the hallway, with the rest of  the herd into lunch. All that was left was Mrs. Magill, Clarke and I.

"Out! Go! I have to go for my lunch too!" Mrs. Magill shooed me out, rather rudely.

So rudely in fact, that I slammed straight into Clarke.

He smirked, "Better watch where you're going Your Highness, you could get hurt." he teased.

"Well maybe I wouldn't if you don't sneak up on me like you're from bloody Mission Impossible!" I exploded.

Clarke chuckled at my fit, making me even more furious. "Anyone tell you that you're beautiful when you're mad?"

For once I could see that he was being genuine. 

"I came to ask you something and I'm sure that you've heard things about what I'm going to ask. But, don't listen to them, use your own mind."

"Jeez, you sound like a therapist." I rolled my eyes.

"How do you know that's not my life goal?" Clarke challenged, raising an eyebrow.

"Well if it is, then you'd be a good one." I say, giving him a small smile.

"Is that a compliment I hear?! What have you done with Zola Green and where is she?"

I smile shaking my head, as we walk down the deserted hallway.

"Zola, about that date..." Clarke started apprehensively, then continued when I gave no reaction.

"I'm sorry to scare you about those thoughts and feelings and images. I really want to give us a chance. If not as a couple, as friends."

As I think about it, I think back to that light hearted moment we both had and as friends we could have more of that. 

Even if he had just made me paranoid for three months.

Confirming my decision, I smiled and joined my hand with Clarke's, surprising him.

"I'd like that." Smiling as I tell him.

"Then, Zola Green, would you do the honour of going to the Christmas Dance with me?" 

I was shocked , I thought we were friends?!

"A-as friends of course." Clarke added quickly.

I grinned, "You betcha."