FIFTY-ONE. house of allegiance

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

River shook the sketchy, white box, hearing that there were things in it. She couldn't decipher what they were, but it was something. The box was taped closed and before she could ask Trudy where the scissors were (they were hidden for reasons relating to Anubis's three pranksters), someone else hurried into the kitchen.

"Trudy, quick! Amber's fainted!" River knew straight away that Nina was lying, but she didn't say anything since she figured it was Sibuna related. That was the only time the American lied poorly.

Trudy was quick to drop the plate she was cleaning and rushed out of the kitchen. River raised an eyebrow at her roommate. "By your terrible lying, I'm assuming something Sibuna related happened."

"You could say that." Nina chuckled lightly before noticing the white box. "What's with the shoebox?"

River shrugged. "Beats me. There was no letter or note or anything. It just had my name."

"Weird."

"Yeah." River noticed the piece of paper in Nina's hand and raised her eyebrows. "You found another clue?"

"Yep. Victor was so close to getting it, but Amber and I created a distraction," Nina explained as she unfolded the paper.

River stood beside her and nodded. "Explains your poor lying. Seriously, I assumed Americans were good at that stuff."

Nina chuckled and focused more on the clue she and River were looking at. River was about to open her mouth to read it aloud, but another voice that sounded like Victor alarmed her and Nina. "What are you doing, Miss Martin? Miss Lawrence?"

The two roommates turned around, preparing for Victor's berating words, but their faces fell when they realized it was just Fabian. The nerd laughed at their reactions, while the American shoved him and the prankster voiced, "Dude, you gave us a heart attack. But I'm glad those play rehearsals paid off; you nailed that Victor impersonation."

"Thank you." Fabian chuckled. Nina showed him the riddle, which got his attention. He took it out of her hand and his eyes widened. "Woah. Where did you find this?"

"The demisphere," Nina informed them, "which was basically the bottom of the chandelier."

"Right under our noses... or should I say above our noses." River chortled, receiving unamused looks from Fabian and Nina. "Tough crowd."

Nina took the riddle from Fabian and read it aloud. "'Inside the core of my enemy's pride is where the final relic hides'."