TWENTY-ONE. house of cat-nap

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

For the rest of the day, River had tried numerous times to confront Nina, Amber, and Fabian. But whenever she did try, they were either nowhere to be found or she was with Jerome and Alfie.

When she tried the next morning, the trio had left early, and surprisingly, were with Patricia. Something was going on and now Patricia was involved too? River was suspicious of them and even more suspicious during Physics class, where she sat at a desk with Alfie and Mick, and not Jerome who she assumed ditched class.

"So, can anyone tell me what is the relationship between electrical current and charge flow?" Mr. Sweet asked the class as he pointed with his marker to the diagram on the board. No one in the class shouted out an answer, not even Mara or Fabian, but River was surprised when she saw Alfie's arm go up. She knew it wasn't going to be a question about what they were discussing. "Alfie?"

"I thought we were going to be dissecting a rat this week, Mr. Sweet?" The boy asked, which caused River to form a small smile.

"Ugh, gross!" Amber exclaimed from the back in disgust and all eyes were on her. "I think experimenting on animals is cruel and unnecessary, especially experimenting on cats."

River furrowed her eyebrows in bewilderment, wondering why Amber had put a cat into the equation. When she glanced around the room and caught the shocked and unimpressed expressions from Nina, Fabian, and Patricia, she became curious as to what Amber was talking about.

"Oh, I don't think anyone experiments on cats nowadays, Amber," Mr. Sweet informed the blonde.

"How do you know? I mean, what if someone was trying to make something, like, I don't know, just off the top of my head, an elixir of life or something?"

River eyebrows quirked in puzzlement, wondering what an elixir of life was. Amber usually never made sense to her, but whatever she was going on about also made Fabian, Patricia and Nina widen their eyes too.

"Strange idea. What a strange, ha ha ha, ridiculous idea," Mr. Sweet spoke and River could hint at the nerves in his tone.

Amber shrugged in response. "It was just something I read in a book, that's all."

"Well, some alchemists in the middle ages did devote their life to searching for an 'elixir of life'," Mr. Sweet explained, air-quoting his last three words. "I'm sure they experimented on animals as part of their quest." Then, the man clapped his hands, wanting to divert the students' attention back to electrical charge flow.

"I wonder what that was about," River whispered to Alfie.

Alfie shrugged but smiled dreamily. "She's so smart, isn't she?"