Chapter 8: X-Mas

A/N: Hello! Here's another long chapter for you, along with a little context. The song above's the mood for the first half of chapter, as per usual. Lot's of the soundtrack for this book- if not the entire series- will be BTS or Hamilton songs, so if you don't like then don't listen. 

The story takes place in 2014/15- this will become important as Allison learns some Muggle Culture over the next couple of chapters. 

Hope you enjoy!

The days after my chat with Jacqueline were a blur of activity. Alec went out of his way to avoid me- an easy job since we're in different houses. I was determined to talk to him though. When the weekend arrived and a snowstorm trapped everyone inside, I finally managed to corner him.

The ensuing conversation wasn't as violent as I thought it'd be. In fact, he apologized for his behavior in the library. And...I may have also apologized for bringing it up. 

"So, did you ever talk to her?" He asked after some awkward silence. 

It took me a moment to remember what he was talking about. "Yes, actually. She invited me to spend Christmas with her. I don't know how I'm going to make that happen, but I'll figure it out."

"I'll be surprised if you don't. You're very resourceful- though you wouldn't be a Slytherin if you weren't."

I shoved the compliment aside, unsure how to feel about it. "Isn't that a Ravenclaw trait too? Resourcefulness?"

He smiled, an inside joke shining in his amethyst eyes. "Not in the same manner, but yes."

Talking after that was...almost too easy. Maybe gaining Alec's trust wouldn't be so hard! The problem of escaping the Malfoy's at the Platform and finding Jacqueline still burdened me, but at least murderous vampires were no longer on my list of problems.

On Monday, I woke with steely resolve to approach Draco with my problem. Part of me wondered why I was going to people so often with my problems lately. My other, conflicting half told the former to shut it. Especially after breakfast.

The meal didn't start off problematic- in fact, you could say breakfast was too normal! The goons and Theo were arguing over the last tray of bacon. Blaise had disappeared ages ago for some last minute Transfiguration Homework. Draco was too tired to talk yet. Then there was the usual whoosh from above and an owl dropped off a letter addressed specifically to me.

Allison,

I'm sure you're wondering why I haven't sent a joint letter to discuss your mission progress. Well, that's the problem. You've made no progress! Time's running out. Your job was a simple- any During would've had them wrapped around their finger by now. If you don't leave the Hogwarts Express with some semblance of progress, you will embarrass not only yourself but the Malfoy name. You were lucky enough to be taken in, but the other way can be easily arranged.

Make your choice.

L.L.M.

It's lucky Lucius doesn't know about Jacqueline, though I had a feeling I knew where he was getting his "updates". Shadow and his spy friend! Not that it mattered- Lucius was bound to trust Shadow's opinion more than mine. Shadow's never hexed Lucius on reflex or called him any vulgar names.

I almost wanted his threat to be true, if only for me. Draco needed his family, no matter how awful they were. Meanwhile I had a rainy-day fund that could carry me through my Hogwarts career, one Lucius was not only clueless to but couldn't touch. Of course, I knew his threat was half-hearted at best. Lucius wouldn't abandon me for a number of reasons, but he had the means to make my life a living nightmare.