Chapter 8 - Annabeth's Mom Has Got It Going On

Annabeth started, her eyelids fluttering in surprise. "Mother!" She said, "what are you doing here?"

"I live here, child, what are you doing here?" Athena asked, her grey eyes piercing straight through me. It felt like she could see the trident I was holding behind my back, but shook it off and kept staring back at her stubbornly. She shifted her disapproving look onto Annabeth, who stared back proudly, which made my heart want to burst out of my chest.

"Listen, uh, goddess, we don't want to disturb you, we're sorry, we were just leaving," I said, grabbing Annabeth's elbow and edging backwards toward the marble steps.

"Oh no you don't, Jackson," Annabeth's mother said sharply, "I know what you both are trying to accomplish and I will not allow it."

"Mom!" Annabeth said breathlessly, edging slowly with me.

"We just came for the items like the prophecy told us," I tried to reason, "and now we're leaving."

Athena gave a jerk of her head, her stare slicing through us, making Annabeth and I shiver. "The prophecy stated that you will fail, therefore, I cannot allow you to risk the lives of the gods due to your demigod pride."

"It's not demigod pride!" I snapped, getting seriously mad and looking for a way out of this situation. I was sure Annabeth had a plan, but it wasn't like I could just ask Athena to turn around so I could ask her.

"The prophecy also stated that one of you will die forever, did it not?" Athena posed, and I stood silently staring at her. "Are you really so ready to save your father that you would risk my daughter's life?"

That was when I knew she got me. They don't call her the goddess of wisdom for nothing. I was dumbstruck, suddenly staring at the back of Annabeth's blonde head and wondering why I even thought this quest was a good idea. Her life...

Suddenly, Annabeth elbowed me hard in the gut and eyed her mother, saying "I knew you would try to sway us, but being the wisest god in the room should also mean you know that prophecies aren't always what they seem." With that, Annabeth turned and wrapped her arm around my midriff, using my weight to kick off the marble floor and catapult us over the railing, 600 Empire State floors above the ground.