Chapter 24 - Time to Say Goodbye

If Astraeus had a jaw, I'm sure it would have fell open. I felt my heart grow hotter, a wild sensation of grief, as I leapt forward at the shadow, Riptide aimed for the center.

He had no time to react as Riptide slashed at him, the blade clanging against a bright white star in the center of his lightless form, a star that was keeping him together buried deep in his chest.

The force of the blow came at me fast, throwing me with such a force that I could barely keep conscious, my eyes falling closed as I watched Astraeus' form explode into pieces, the stars behind it coming into focus, glittering wildly as if they were dancing. That was the last thing I saw as I fell to earth as well, Riptide sliding out of my hand as I fell through the clouds.

When I woke, someone was dabbing a warm cloth against my forehead, a familiar sensation that reminded me of my first encounter at Camp Half-Blood, with a familiar witty blonde nursing me back to life.

"That feels good," I said, my voice coming out as a rasp. I felt Annabeth sigh and wrap her hands around my cheeks, planting a soft kiss on my nose. She was being careful with me, which meant I was probably in pretty bad shape. I slowly opened my eyes, blinking the dust out of them, as I took in our surroundings: a large, marble room with a gleam that could only mean we were in Olympus. I started to raise my head to get a better look when a cleared throat stopped my progress.

"Jackson," Hera said regally, her voice ringing through the room and giving me a slight headache. "I suppose I owe you my gratitude as well." With that, she turned on her heal and abruptly left as quick as she appeared. I raised my eyebrows at Annabeth, knowing Hera was definitely not one to say thank you to either of us, or someone who would end a conversation without and insult or a curse.

Annabeth shook her head slowly. "She did the same to me, Percy. I think she means it, in her own way."

"So they're back?" I questioned. "You saved them?"

"I like to think of it as a team effort," Annabeth said casually, before sadness came over her face. "Ganymede helped me. They were each trapped in a star, pretty genius if you asked me. Astraeus' plan was more intelligent than we gave him credit for."

I tried not to think about the words she wasn't saying, but the curiosity was burning through my mind, and I think she could tell by my face.

"After Ganymede broke them free, they each fell, including me. Hera guided us toward Olympus once we had fallen enough to get to her realm. The gods were so weakened without their tokens." Annabeth sighed again, recounting the story as if she had done it a few times already.

"Ganymede didn't make it, Percy." The words hurt, but I knew they were true, thinking back to what had happened.

"And Astraeus?" I rasped.

"He's gone too, Hera said you hit him right where it hurts, he won't be messing with the gods for at least another millennia, he's too weak now, and the gods have a special punishment for the astrothesiae that helped him."

I spent a second thinking of that, knowing all too well what kind of prison the gods can construct when they put their minds to it. Ganymede being one example, shut out and hidden away in the stars all due to Hera's pride and Zeus' idea of love. I felt anger and sadness stir inside me.

"At least Ganymede can finally be at peace," I said, and Annabeth nodded as we shared a moment of grief.

"Zeus himself released Ganymede's immortality after he was struck by Astraeus... he was withering away, so it was the only thing he could give him," Annabeth explained, the knot in my chest loosening slightly at the thought of him getting the chance to pass on as mortal and go to the underworld. "As one dies forever" the prophecy said.

"I spoke with your dad," Annabeth added quietly.

I almost jumped, realizing he was so near now and that I could finally speak to him. Annabeth saw the hope in my eyes and gave me a soft smile. "He wants to talk to you too. I'll go get him."

A short time later, I felt an ocean breeze across my face and smelled the sea around me, feeling comfort knowing Poseidon was now here, back in Olympus where he belongs.

"Hello, Percy," my dad said striding into the room, a smile crinkling in his eyes, looking just like I remembered him, strong and powerful with his trident now back in his hands.

He came closer and peered down at me with what looked like pride twinkling in his eyes, and I had to break eye contact before I got a little misty-eyed myself. "Dad." I said to him. And that was all that needed to be said.

Once I started feeling better with the help of some nectar and ambrosia hastily shoved down my throat by Annabeth, we bid goodbye to the gods, hoping it would be a while before a family reunion again. We took the elevator back down to the Empire State Building's lobby, the doorman glaring at us as we walked out into the city.

We hailed a cab that took us all the way back to camp. It was weird being back, it felt like we'd been gone for years. Things were pretty much back to normal, with a wave here and there from campers that were milling about. News travels fast and Chiron greeted us both with warmth, even though we'd escaped camp without his permission. I think he was just happy to have us both back in one piece.

We spent the afternoon on the beach. Both of us silent and thinking, Annabeth playing with my hair and me absentmindedly combing my fingers through the sand. Annabeth was first to break the silence.

"What's that?" She said, and I looked up to see her staring at the sky. I followed her line of sight and my heart leapt at what we saw.

A single feather floated through the air towards us, shining like it was made from stardust. Annabeth reached out and plucked it from the air carefully, twisting it around in her fingers. We both stared down at it for a moment, and then shared a smile.