Chapter 5: A new friend

Start from the beginning

Halfway through our meal Junayd comes up to the lunch table and greets the both of us asking how my day was so far before excusing his self to go and join his friends.

 "Do you know Junayd Amin?, Don't tell me you're dating already!." Najla says in a hushed tone.

I choke on my cream soda and raise an eyebrow at her. "Are you serious?"

" I'm sorry Ruwaydah." she says timidly.

"No, no, no Najla I didn't mean it like that. Considering the fact that Junayd and I are cousins, yes I know him."

"Really?!"she asked, and I notice a hint of red on her cheeks.

"Don't tell me you have a crush on him." I say wiggling my eyebrows at her.

 "Pfft, what? me? No I don't!." she says folding her arms and putting her face to one side.

"Says the cherry tomato in front of me."

"Yeah, yeah.Whatever."

...........................................

Reaching our designated bus stop, Junayd and I get off and walk to the doorstep.

"Junayd! It looks like no one is at home and the door is locked.Do you have the keys?."

"Oh crap! I forgot them in my room this morning!."

"Seriously?!!!,what if this was an emergency and..."

"But," he says putting his hand up to shut me up. "I have the keys to the back door. Crazy females and their ranting sha! Lord have mercy."

I sigh in relief and soon after, we entered. Immediately, I head up to my room and close the door.

Sighing deeply I threw myself onto the bed after I took of my hijab and shoes and.........

"Ruwaydah honey, get up its time for the Asr prayers!" my mum says shaking me gently.

"Okay mama."I say as I head to the toilet to perform my wudhu (ablution).

Later that night when we were having dinner, my dad asked, "So how was my baby girl's first day at the new school? and did you make any friends."

"That's true honey, I should have asked you earlier. Did your classes go well?" my mum asks.

"Well, to answer your questions both my first day was fine and quite unnerving. And yes, I made a friend and her name is Najla Ahmad and yes all my classes went well Alhamdulillah." 

"You see that Maymuna, I told you not to worry." my dad told my mum.

"Just because her first day went well doesn't mean all her days are going to be like that." my mum shot back at my dad.

"Okay! I think that's enough guys. let's just be happy she had a nice day, and pray that all her days will be like today." Aunt Amina said which resulted to everyone keeping quiet.

Okay.. I'm not saying amen to that! I think to myself remembering 'winter jerk'. I definitely don't want my other days to be like today.

"Now that wasn't so hard. was it?" she asked making all heads at the table turn to her.

"What?!. I just stated the obvious." she says, defending herself.

Apparently that phrase runs in this family!.

Late that night, I chatted with Sahlah and told her about my encounter with 'winter jerk' at school.

''Seriously ruways, I don't see why you have to give him that name. I mean, 'winter jerk'?. No offense, but that's actually kinda lame."

"None taken Sahlah dear, but if you look at it, the name actually fits him considering how his voice made me shiver and he behaved like a jerk. So, no matter how lame it sounds, I'm still keeping the nickname."

"I can see you're very determined to keep the name so suit yourself. Just know that I miss you Bestie ."

"Miss you more Halhal." I reply to her."

     "Hey! I've told you not to call me by that name." she says faking a stern look on her face.

"I can't help it!! Besides, it wasn't my idea to form nicknames from our names spelt backwards." I counter.

"And fortunately for you, I had difficulty in forming one for you."

"Exactly." I deadpanned. " Oh yeah, I also made a new friend and her name is Najla Ahmad. I'm sure you are going to love her."

And that's how we talked till my mum came to send us both to bed as the time difference was just one hour. As I lay on my bed, I looked forward to tomorrow not knowing the unexpected was waiting for me.

.........................................................

Hey guys!

Yes I split the previous chapter to create this one cause I figured that by the time I was done with the editing, it would be too long. Well, kinda

Anyways, enjoy!

Fareedah,

xoxo.