Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 34 // 𝑆𝑜 𝑐𝑙𝑜𝑠𝑒, 𝑦𝑒𝑡 𝑠𝑜 𝑓𝑎𝑟

Start from the beginning

"You were at a party last night? I thought you were sad when you left from here." She scolds me but that's not the matter at hand right now so I interrupt her, "Mom..."

"Oh my god, wait a minute. Did you just say you saw Rachel at a party?"Mom exclaims dramatically and I could see her pacing back and forth in her bedroom.

"Mom, listen. I'm not sure yet if it was her, it's just a delusion until I confirm it. But yes, I believe it was her and I need your help to find her. What should I do Mom, please help me out of this."

"Okay, I'm calm. Lucas, if it was her then you should try finding her. Maybe you should try asking the person, at whose party, you saw her?" She pursues me and I almost jump on my feet, "Oh my God, oh my God. Yes. Why didn't I think about it? Thank you, Mom. Thank you so much. You don't know how much I love you for this."

"Now go. And call me as soon as you find her, okay? I know you'll." Mom says, and I just know that she is smiling as brightly as me right now as I hang up the phone.

.......

Knock, knock

Knock, knock

"Who the fuck it is so early in the morning?" Liam says opening the door. "Luke, why the fuck are you banging on my door at seven in the morning?" He says with half eyes closed.

"Thank me, for not waking you up at five. Now get ready and get your ass in my car." I say to him, barging into his apartment and grabbing a Gatorade from his refrigerator.

"What? Why? I'm not going anywhere. There's still so much throbbing in my head from last night's hangover. Aren't you hungover too? " He babbles, following behind me as I gulp down the whole bottle, slamming the empty bottle on the dining table.

"NO, I'm not. And I would've done this on my own if I could've but I can't and I need your help with this." I say in a single breath, desperation getting the best of me.

"Okay, that was deep Man. Where do you want to go anyway?" He asks now wholly awake.

"San Francisco."

"Then I'm definitely not going. I told you last night, we should stay there. But you were being a brat about it." He argues until I tell him, "I think Grace is still alive."

Yeah, he knows about me and Grace. He hates her because she left me like this but he also knows how much I love her, so he'll help.

"You mean, your Rachel?" He asks, now with a serious look and all I say is a yes for him to agree.

"Let's go."

We reach Jake's place by noon and knock at his door.

After a few seconds, Jake comes out and says, "Hey, Liam. What are you doing here? Did you forget something last night?"

"Do you, in any case, know Grace." It was me who asks him.

"Who's Grace?" He scrunched his eyes in confusion and Liam interrupts, "Actually, it's Rachel Grace."

"Still, no idea man," Jake says, making a confused face.

I remove my phone from the back pocket and show him Rachel's photo.

"Oh, you mean Rachel Williamson. I didn't know her middle name was Grace." He exclaims as if he finally solved a tricky question.

"Yes, yes. You know her right? Where does she live?" I ask enthusiastically.

She is alive. My Grace is still alive.

"Of course I do. I mean, she turned me down when I asked her out last year. I've never been turned down by a girl. So yes, I know her." Jake explains and jealousy gets the best of me as I grab his collar, "You asked her out?"

"Woah! Calm down, lover boy. We're just friends now and nothing else." He says and I let him go, instantly regretting my reaction. This is not the time to pick a fight. Not when I need his help and especially not when I was fucking another girl in the next city.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have done that. It's just..." I try to explain when he chuckles, "Don't worry. I get it. Let me just quickly grab my keys and then we can go." He starts to walk into his house when Liam pulls him back.

"What the fuck, man!!!" Jake exclaims.

"No time to waste, Luke has brought his car. Let's go." We get into the car and I drive to her house as fast as I could, as if she'll disappear before I reach there.

I finally park my car on the street and rush towards the front door of their house, Liam and Jake following behind.

Knock, knock
Knock, knock I bang on the door.

"Coming!" Comes a voice from inside, which I don't recognize as Grace's or her mother's.

A lady in her late forties opens the door.

"Yes, how may I help you?" She asks politely and my reply is quick, "Is Rachel home?"

"And you're?"

"We're friends of Rachel, from College," Jake says, coming beside me.

"Jake, It's you. Last time I saw you when you were here for doing some project, right?" She asks merrily.

"Yeah, that would be me." He smiles at her.

Sudden jealousy overcomes me but I push it aside. "Where's Rachel?" I ask again.

"Oh, I'm so sorry. But she is at the hospital." She whispers sadly as if something bad happened before we reached here.

"Is she- Is she okay?" My voice comes out painfully and the thing she says next snatches the land under my feet. "I don't know either. She fainted this morning and her Mom rushed her to the hospital when I came for work."

"Which hospital?" Liam asks.

"STANFORD HOSPITAL."

_________________________________________

They're so close to each other and yet so far.
What do you think is gonna happen when they'll finally meet?

Don't forget to vote :)

Have a great day:)