Thoughts

Sometimes I get a little too lost in my thoughts. Sometimes I think too much into the simplest, but also strangely complex, things and objects. Being a girl who isolates herself from everything and everyone, I can do nothing much but analyze everything around me.

Sometimes I go downtown and sit inside one of my favorite cafes and get my usual drink, sit down by the window and just sit down. Seeing the world turn and time pass as I'm just sipping my latte. I usually come here right after school so I can get a little more free time to myself before I go back to the mess I call home.

I've become a usual customer that I don't even have to order for Wyatt to bring over my drink. Ever since day one, he's taken my order and we've become close friends. He's about my age. A year older? He's a freshman in college so he enjoys seeing me rant about being a senior and teases me about it even though he barely got out of high school so he's the one to talk.

It was a usual day so far, I woke up and got ready for school. I dropped off my little brother at his friend's house and headed towards Libertyville High School. As usual, I silently go through my classes without any other interferences. Other than the boy from my AP Chemistry class picking up something I dropped accidentally and handing it back to me, I had no other interactions.

I shut the door to my locker and as I turn I face someone I thought would never speak to me.

"Hey." She says as she smiles at me.

"Hi?" I say with confusion dripping in my tone.

"So I'm not going to sugar coat this but basically our history teacher told me to become friends with you since you don't talk to anyone for shit." Before I can even open my mouth she holds up her finger indicating she isn't done talking. "So how about you join me and my friends and go and see a movie tonight? I wouldn't be doing this if you didn't seem chill but if this doesn't work out let's just pretend we're friends in class. Okay?"

I open my mouth to protest but she goes ahead and answers for me. "Okay cool! I'll give you my number and you text me your address. I'll pick you up at 7:30." She grabs the notebook I had and writes it in one of the blank pages. She hands it back to me and turns away.

I just stand there staring at the back of her head, processing what the actual fuck just happened. Guess I'll be watching a movie with the most popular girl in school, Starr McConnell. I have to tell Wyatt about this. As I turn the other way towards my car, I notice everyone staring at me with a shocked expression. Can't blame them really.

As I enter the cafe, I wave hello to Wyatt and the other workers and he smiles at me as he gives someone their drink. I sit down by the windows and stare at everyone here. I notice the couple in one of the booths looking oh so in love, I notice the girl in front of me drawing in a sketchbook, I notice the guy in the far corner who seems to be waiting for someone nervously. I stop observing when I see Wyatt coming over with my latte.

"Hey." He says as he puts down my drink in front of me. "How was school today?" After I take a sip of my latte, I respond.

"Same old, same old really. Except for the part where Starr asked me-- wait let me rephrase, told me I was going to the movies with her and her good ol' friends."

"Oh damn, when is this going to take place?"

"At 7:30 today and I'm honestly ecstatic! I'm going to enjoy this so much! Can't you just tell how exciting I am, Wyatt!" I throw my hands around and after my little outburst, I immediately put them down to grab my latte and slide down my seat further.

"Oh come on, maybe you'll actually have a decent time," Wyatt says as he pats my head. "and if you don't, just call me and I'll get you some pizza."

"I'll be lucky if I even have a decent time honestly, so be ready with that pizza." I sit up properly and Wyatt removes his hand. "Now go back to work, you lazy ass."

"Says the person who ditched our study time just because she didn't want to get out of bed." He smiles at me as he walks back to the counter. "Don't murder anyone!"

"I can't promise anything!" I reply back. After I check the time, 5:45 PM, I grab my backpack and finish the remaining of my drink and throw it in the trash as I head out.

The moment I closed the front door behind me, I'm immediately met with little boys running around the house like wild animals. Instead of asking my brother what the hell is going on, I go to my room and open my closet. I look at an endless amount of black and white and sigh. I dig through all of my clothes and try to find something that doesn't yell "I'm a sad piece of shit!"

I give up and go to my sister's room.

"Hey, Amery, can I borrow some clothes?" I knock the door when I hear no response. "Heeeey. Ameryyyyyy." I hear I faint come in and I enter.

"Did you hear me?"

"Why would I want to hear you?" Amery replies as she takes off her eyes from her phone and sees it's me.

"Looking over that," I say as I walk over to her closet, "can I borrow some of your clothes? Just for today and only today, I promise."

"For why?" She says as she sits up.

"I have to go to the movies with-" Amery cuts me off by standing up abruptly and saying, "Holy shit, you finally got yourself a date! Did Wyatt finally ask you out?! Oh my gosh!"

"Okay, ew. No way will he ever do that to himself. I'm being forced to go see a movie with a couple of girls that I never talked to. Now can I borrow some of your clothes or not?" I said impatiently.

"Oh, only if I can dress you." She smiled mischievously.

"Okay, now that is just- no. Absolutely not."

"I won't lend you my clothes then." She says as she lays back onto her bed and closes her eyes.

"Amery, please, I have nothing suitable to wear. Those girls wear all kinds of fancy clothes, I can't just show up wearing a black shirt with the font barely even visible. Not mentioning the oil-stained pants."

"Oh, what can you possibly do!" She says still laying down.

I sigh before saying, "Ugh, okay."

"Um? What was that?"

"I said okay, you can dress me. Now hurry the fuck up, I have to leave in an hour and a half." I say as I tug her arm. She immediately stands up and walks to her closet.

"An hour and a half isn't a lot but I'll see what I can do." She says as she digs through her clothes. I sit on her bed and wait for the chaos to begin. She made me try out five different outfits until she picked the one that yells "me".

-----------------------

Hey! I definitely gave up with this by the end and even though it is definitely unfinished, I just wanted to post it. I really liked the connection between Wyatt and the main character but let them figure it out on their own lmao. Definitely do not like how I introduced the "popular" girl and to be honest, I've used this trope so many times and I'm lowkey already sick of it. There are like one billion other books that use these same exact characters so no one really loses here. But anyways! I am working on another short story that I am so far really excited to post and I really invested a lot into this! So hopefully, for once, someone reads it and gives it a vote!

Okay bye this author's note has been taking forever. Have a nice day/night!