Chapter 1: Welcome to Jangles

Start from the beginning

                "Did someone say 'hubby?"' Phil sang, coming out of the door holding several brochures, their passports, and the plane tickets."

                "I did!" Mom giggled, pecking Phil's cheek. A sudden look of panic crossed her face. "I forgot my ring on the dresser!"

                "How did you manage that?" I asked. "You never take it off."

                "I took it off to clean it. I wanted it to be shiny for the trip. I'll be right back."

                She scurried into the house in a state of temporary distress. I found it slightly uncomfortable that Phil was just standing there beaming at me. "She's something else, isn't she?" he said dazedly.

                I wasn't sure if he was talking to me or himself. I answered anyways. "Yeah. She is."

                "Have fun this summer, squirt."

                He went to ruffle my hair, but I averted it. I felt a pang of guilt when I saw that there was a pained look on his face. It only lasted for a couple of seconds though.

                "Squirt?" I echoed.

                "It's a nickname." I'm aware. "Don't dads call their kids that?"

                I wanted to tell him that he wasn't my real dad, and that he never would be, but I figured that would dampen his cheery mood. Besides, I had already offended him once today. Plus I'd have to deal with Mom if she ever found out, which was highly probably because Phil told her everything.

                Phil was clueless when it came to children, and more specifically, teenagers. Was it wrong that I was glad that he came around after my childhood? He didn't seem like the type of guy who would play catch in the yard or teach you how to ride a bike. I could see him trying teaching my unborn sibling division when all it wanted to do was watch Courage the Cowardly Dog. While these thoughts both amused and terrified me, I was put to rest. I knew that Phil would try to be the best parent he could be. And it also had my mom, who, in my opinion, had raised a couple of cool kids.

                "Sure, Phil."

                "Call me Dad."

                I forced a smile. "I'm more comfortable with Phil right now." To make it seem a little nicer, I added, "If that's all right with you."

                I could see it on his face. It wasn't "all right" with him. He wasn't doing a very good job hiding his disappointment. He looked like a child whose request for a cookie was declined. But as soon as Mom bounced through the doorway with her ring, he lit up again. It was evident that he loved her. Mom needed someone who genuinely cared for her, and if that was Phil, then so be it. Even if I didn't approve her "type," I wasn't going to be sticking around for long.

                Phil gave me an awkward hug, but maybe I made it like that. Mom kissed me on the cheek and handed me an envelope of money with my name scribbled on it. "Spend it wisely because that's all you're getting for the summer unless you get a job. Then go wild!" I raised an eyebrow. "But remember you have college to save up for."

                "Education shmeducation," I snorted.

                She looked at me disapprovingly.

                "I'm joking! Education is very important."

                She rolled her eyes and laughed. "I'm going to miss you."