Chapter 08 - Who Is Getting Married?

When they got to the kitchen where everyone was now sitting around the table, Alfie heard Auntie G asking for the second time, “If no one is sick, why did the police and the ambulance and the big red fire truck come to your house?” Ushering Ralphie to a seat Alfie said, “Why don’t you ask that fine, respectable young moron over there? He is the one who called them!”

With her two hands on her head again, Lucy shouted, “Watch your words Alfie! He is not a moron.” Auntie G said, “Tell him Lucy girl. If there’s a moron in this house, it’s him.” Alfie turned to Ralphie and asked, “Does Auntie G always go to bed looking that scary or did she just wear those curlers and that mask to come down here and scare my family?”

Auntie G started towards Alfie seething like a bull. She stopped when the doorbell rang. “Who could that be at this hour?” asked Alfie as he headed for the door again. “It’s my sister Edith and her husband Pete,” he shouted as Edith hugged him as if she had not seen him in years. “What are you doing here Alfie?” she sobbed. Struggling free he looked at Pete and asked, “Bloody hell! Doesn’t she know that I live here?”

In the kitchen Alfie offered them a seat at the table and said, “I could understand how nosey Auntie G got here because she lives up the street but you two live across town. Did you hear the siren from your house too?” Looking coyly across the table Edith said, “Auntie G phoned me and said come quickly if you want to see you brother again. He is either going to the hospital with a heart attack or to jail for watching dirty movies.”

Once more, Maria had to act quickly to calm the situation. “Who would like coffee?” she asked reaching for the coffee pot. As she poured the first cup, Alfie said, “Lucy and I are invited to a wedding on the beach. I can’t wait to go. Ralphie can you see me in my shorts watching all those sexy women in their skimpy swim suits?”

Pushing her chair back, Auntie G stood up and asked, “Who would invite a moron like you to their wedding on the beach without inviting us?” Turning towards Ralphie she asked, “Did anyone invite us to this wedding?” He replied, “No one invited us but if they invited my little brother then we are invited too.” Smiling he said, “You know how he gets after a few beers. Personally, I think a wedding on the beach is a great idea.”

“Me too!” declared Auntie G finishing her coffee. “We should all go to this wedding. When is it and who is getting married?” asked Auntie G. A deafening silence prevailed until Lucy said, “Maria, why don’t you tell everyone who is getting married?”

Standing sheepishly, Maria clasped her hands together and said, “I am getting married in a few weeks.” Alfie pushed his chair back so far that he fell to the floor. After a brief struggle he made it to his feet and shouted, “What? You are getting married in a few weeks? Why am I always the last to hear about things like this? And, what about the wedding on the beach?”

Fearing that Alfie might over exert himself and succumb to a heart attack, Peter went over to him and said, “Sit down dad, I’ll handle this.” Then looking at Maria he asked quizzically, “And just who might be the unlucky one? Or better yet, is there really someone out there willing to marry you?”

“Grow up Peter. You’re just jealous because no one wants to marry you. Willie asked me to marry him. He wanted to get married next week but he is willing to wait until school is closed for the summer holidays.”

“Who is this Willie?” interjected Auntie G. “Where is he from? Does his family have lots of money?” Aunt Edith questioned, “Do we know him?” Raising her hands in the air, Lucy said, “Hold on guys. Hold on. Alfie and I know him.” With a deep swallowing sound Alfie murmured, “Bloody hell! We do?”

“Yes Alfie, we met him at the beach when Maria almost drowned.” Looking at Ralphie, Alfie said, “See. I told you she was losing it! There were lots of people on the beach but I did not meet anyone that day.”

“Alfie dear, he is the lifeguard who saved Maria.” Looking upwards with one hand on his chin he declared, “You mean Mr. Kissinger; the young man who just couldn’t stop kissing her?”

“Yes Alfie. He asked Maria to marry him and she said yes!”

“Cool!” declared Peter. “First he saved her then he kissed her and now he wants to marry her. Does he marry every girl he rescues?”

“Moron! I mean Peter, leave your sister alone,” bellowed Auntie G as she walked around the table. Stopping by Maria she asked softly, “Maria dear, do you really love him? Did you get butterflies in your stomach like I did the first time I saw my Ralphie?”

“Yes Auntie G. There were lots of butterflies and they are still there every time I think of him.” Looking across the table Maria said, “Folks, I know that this appears to be rushed but I really do love him and I know that he is the one for me. The right one!”

“The right one!” teased Peter. “How do you know he is the right one? Was it written on his bare chest?”
“Bloody hell! Leave your sister alone,” shouted Alfie.