Chapter 2

** The picture of Ayan in the chapter**

After our love-making, I was sprawled out on the bed spaced out while looking at the ceiling ahead of me. Jay was asleep, and by sneaking a look he looked content. I let out a sigh and my mind goes into my painful memories:

Exactly a year ago

Today is my 2nd anniversary with my mate; Ayan. Today I had taken a holiday for a week in between my assignments. I am preparing a dinner for just us two. I prepared all of our favorites:

Homemade chicken tikka and naan bread with salad and butter garlic mushrooms as our appetizers.

I also bought his favorite Spanish wine of Rioja grapes and Port wine as an aperitif. I was finishing my quaint decoration on our dining table with some chocolate truffles, crockery, and flowers. It's now 6 PM, and I have just an hour to bathe, get ready once I finish the preparation of lava cake.

Once I am finished with all the little details, I step into the bathroom to get ready. I am not a perfectionist but I am a romantic soul who loves pampering her man. I am going to woo him with my love and affection while convincing him to finish mating with me. It's been 2 years that we met at one of Jay's party. My wolf Gina and I were shocked to find our mate as human. As I belonged to a line of Royal guards, I thought I was going to be blessed with werewolf-like me or another creature. In my family, none of my 4 siblings(Yes, I have a big family, me being in middle) there was no creature I have heard of in real or history to have a human as a mate, not that I have any problem; it's was odd. After the initial shock wore off, I approached Ayan, leaned in and gave him a peck on his delicious lips. I started talking to him as he didn't realize we were mates, he figured I only fancied him being in the party. We proceed to sit on a porch at one of the couches having a conversation. I notified everyone of finding my mate on the mind-link before putting the barrier to focus on him. Nobody would disturb us.

He is so intellectual, he is starting his tenure as 'Researcher' in 6 months at the Royal Institute of science and technology at Ashiyana. He is extremely knowledgable and is passionate about his research topic; wherein he is digitalizing our law and order protocols with emerging technologies. I was in awe of how passionately he was explaining to me about his research with his big eyes, the excited pitch of the voice, and flushed cheeks. He loved it and he looks so beautiful and handsome with his tight black shirt and medium fitted jeans. I suddenly noticed that he was scowling, even though I was amused, I was curious about the cause. I focused our surroundings to see the culprit and saw nothing but us. I guess everyone slept. I refocused my attention to him and saw him again scowling.

Tilting my face on one side, I asked 'What happened?, I liked listening to you'

He gave me a small smile and said ' Yes I got that. Why are you listening though, because until now any girl I am sitting with, would have left by now? So why are you still here?'

Feeling the pang of jealousy and curiosity of which girls he is referring to, avoiding that. I started the most dreaded conversation. You see, humans even though they can feel love but their love is not deep as creatures have with their creature-mates. In my world, most of the mates are in the same creature category, i.e., a werewolf has a werewolf mate, vampire as a vampire mate, and so on so forth. There is only a 1% chance of having a mate from other creatures and rarely anyone has been paired up with humans. Even though I have a reputation of being a broody, independent and a rebel soldier within ranks of our army(Yes I am the only sibling who has enlisted herself in the creature army), I was not one of the werewolves who will get starstruck on the first sight of the mate. I was hesitant about finding my mate and when I realized he was human, I was not that happy. But, my wolf; Gina was on cloud 9th. I won't lie, I was a little bit happy too. He was perfect, with his jet black hair and brown eyes with his lips. He was maybe an inch taller and has a chiseled jaw with medium athletic built. He was not like other werewolves with bulging muscles and washboard abs and I started liking it from a minute I laid eyes on him.