Chapter 29: A Caged Bird

Start from the beginning

Wow, okay. So I basically friend-zone him, and he stranger-zones me back? I'd call him a petty bitch, but he's just about as awkward as Milo, damn.

"Not friends?" I echoed, snorting. "Damn. Here I was thinking we had bonded after I saved your life and took you to my special spot. You're breaking my heart, kid." I nudged Felix with my wing teasingly, the boy looking surprised, before breaking out into a genuine smile that lit his whole face up. He was a pain in the ass, but he shared Milo's face, and when he wasn't scowling at me he was quite pretty, in a cute, innocent kind of way. 

"Friends," Felix repeated, and I nodded, brushing my wing against him again, making him laugh.

"Yeah, you know. Like the Ned to my Spiderman," I said, Felix's eyes crinkling as he laughed, exhaling deeply, the tension seeping from his shoulders. I found myself relaxing a bit more as well, no longer worried about Felix's apparently feelings for me, the boy seemingly resigned to reality. 

I really didn't hate the kid. I never did - found him annoying and was ruffled by his hatred for me at times, yes - but I never hated him. In fact, the Felix I saw in front of me now was pretty nice; shy and awkward like his brother, but not as stern or stoic, at least on the outside. I was growing pretty fond of him, ignoring the fact that he basically bitches about me to me whenever I see him as Black Dove. 

"So, you were going to talk to me about why you don't wanna go home," I said, nudging him with my wing again. Felix sighed, nodding, head dropping to his knees again. "Something about your brother getting a boyfriend?"

Which I am very happy about, might I add.

"Yeah, he told me today. Well, told me isn't really accurate. More like confessed after I caught him about to bone his... boyfriend. Ugh."

"Oh, awkward," I said, drawing out the word, my mind flashing back to the sinking feeling when Felix had opened the door and found me straddling Milo. Very awkward. Also hilarious. But mainly awkward. "What did your brother say to you when he 'confessed', as you put it."

Felix's face scrunched up, shoulders heaving. 

"You know, the first thing he said was 'don't get angry at Culver'," Felix said, scoffing bitterly. "Not even a 'sorry I didn't tell you' or an explanation. Like that was the only thing that mattered."

My heart fluttered at Felix's admission despite myself, and I was suddenly glad for my mask as I couldn't bite back the smile growing on my face at Milo's actions. 

"I guess that's not what you wanted to hear," I said slowly, Felix rolling his eyes. "But, doesn't that just show that he really cares about his boyfriend? I wouldn't say it's a bad thing, your brother getting a boyfriend he cares about."

"I don't care that he has a... boyfriend, I just don't like that particular person being his boyfriend," Felix said, huffing. Lovely

"Right, the... drug addict guy with all the STDs," I said, Felix nodding. "He can't be all that bad, right? I mean, from what you've told me, your brother seems to be a really nice guy." Really, really nice. I'd know. "Surely you can trust him with his decision on who he dates?"

"I usually would, but it's like he's blinded by that guy," Felix said, and I wanted so badly to laugh giddily, but held it back. Barely. "It's almost like he's a different person when it comes to him, like he's not my brother at all. He never used to get into trouble, but since he became friends with that guy he got into fights, started slacking on his studies. And now he's been staying out late and coming home at weird hours because of him, making me and my mum worry. He's not like the older brother I grew up with at all."