+nineteenth: tailed

It was well past midnight when I was on my way to Gray's place. I gazed at the dark street in front of me, my heart racing in my chest. My body still trembled slightly from the aftershocks, but I didn't care. I knew I only needed to get to Gray and everything would be alright.

I drove silently, my mind forming resolve. I didn't know what exactly was setting off my panic attacks, but I had an inkling it had something to do with the sudden reappearance of my father and my cheating on Gray.

My senses were hyperactive. I took deep breaths, trying to calm myself. I was afraid I was going to go insane.

I felt a sudden tingle down my back and my heart seized. My senses tingled. Something was wrong. Instinctively, I increased the speed of the car, my heart hammering when my eyes fell on the rearview mirror and I saw a black car, far off in the distance but steadily gaining pace.

I remained calm, keeping an eye on them and kept my pace even. I didn't want to act paranoid and increase my pace suddenly, lest they got suspicious. I didn't want to start acting out unless I was absolutely sure they were tailing me.

I took shuddering breaths, my heart lurching when the car got dangerously close. I took a deep breath, preparing to yell at them. "HEY! WHAT THE-"

My entire body lurched forward, I barely controlled the steering wheel as the car behind rammed into mine with a loud bang. I silently apologized to Caleb.

"Fuck," I cursed under my breath and increased the speed further, fixing my eyes on the road. Mirroring my movements, my pursuer steadily gained pace.

I fished my phone out, pulling the maps and gazed at it. The road in front of me was straight, there were twists or turns I could lose them in. Adrenaline coursed through me as I glanced in the mirror, my heart leaping to my throat. I couldn't see well in the dark, but I could tell there were multiple people from the multiple shadows. Under better circumstances, I would have liked to note down the number of the car tailing mine. However, it was impossible along with navigating and trying to find an escape root on my phone, all while my brain tried to chalk out a plan furiously.

I pressed the pedal and started speeding up further, zig-zagging to try and lose whoever was behind me. I stared straight ahead, trying to figure out if there was any way I could take the car into the surrounding forests. I was so intent on the street that it took me a while to see the reflection of a masked man leaning out of the window, his gun glinting malevolently under the moon.

Under familiar situations like these, my first action would be to let the pursuer know that I knew they were following me. However, with a potential murderer hanging out of the car with the gun pointed at me, I didn't think it was necessary.

The loud sound of a gunshot pierced the night air already raving with the sound of raging wheels on the road. I cursed, my brain working maniacally. "Fuck...fuck...fuck..."

Another shot. I heard the glass at the back of the car shatter with a deafening sound. I was protected from direct sight by the headrest, but I didn't know for how long.

I took a deep breath, it was time for desperate measures. I took a sharp turn to the left and into the forest soil. I couldn't go in too deep, knowing that the trees would completely block my movement and I would be ambushed. It was a risk, but I had to take it. I gazed in the mirror just a few metres into the forest and bit my lip. They were still hot on my trail. I fixed my eyes in front of me on the dark woods, I would have to make a last-minute turn and hope their driving skills weren't as good as mine.

The clearing ended a few meters ahead of me. Another gunshot sounded. I increased my speed, took a deep breath and prayed to the powers above. I made a last-minute turn and shot back the way I had come. My car flew beside the stunned pursuers and I barely managed to hold on to the wheel, the speed slowing down as I made the tiny climb and finally found myself back on the street. I increased the speed, sighing in relief when I didn't see them emerge from the woods.