twenty-eighth: one-eighty

By the time we managed to get off each other, it was afternoon. 

I carefully stepped out into the dorm and scanned my surroundings. They were usually deserted during this time of the day, a prerequisite for what I had in mind. 

I led Gray towards Caleb's room, realizing that in my head I would always see him as Caleb. The door was locked and I gazed at Gray, unsure what to do. He bit his lip and glanced around. He sighed and fished into his pocket, taking out his revolver. I raised an eyebrow as he shrugged.

"Let's face it, Xavier, we're probably gonna have a final showdown with this psycho anyway so-" he pointed it at the wood. I knew that usual locks could be taken off with any bullet above thirty-two however, knowing the kind of person we were dealing with, I was sure his security was better than that. He shot as the wood splintered. I flinched slightly at the sound of the wood against the silent bullet. He pointed it at the door again and let a few more shots, finally kicking it in. 

I chuckled. "That was kinda hot."

He smirked. "You have issues, baby."

We entered the room and for a second I stopped dead in my tracks, my mind wandering. 

"Do you think he would be in classes right now?" Gray asked as he shut what was left of the door behind him. "Or one of us should stand guard outside?"

"You should wait outside. I have no idea where he could be..." he nodded and walked over to me, kissing the top of my head as my heart fluttered. 

"Alright, I'll make sure he doesn't barge in. Do your magic, baby."

He gave me a swift smile as he opened the door and stepped out. I immediately went over to the shelf where he kept the documents the last time, I wasn't surprised to find that they weren't there. I gazed at the locked cupboard, making up my mind and stepped outside to reach Grayson.

 "Gray," I began. He stood, leaning against the wall, his startling eyes studying the hallway. He turned to look at me as I called.

"I need the revolver. The cupboard is locked."

He nodded at once and handed it to me. I gripped the revolver tightly in my hands, taking a deep breath. I wasn't particularly fond of using weapons, but I knew I had to. Caleb had almost ruined my relationship with Gray, fueled by my immaturity and insecurity. And it was time to give what was coming to him. 

"Want me to do it, love?" he asked gently.

I bit my lip and shook my head. "No. Stay here."

I walked back inside and took calming breaths, pointing the tip of the revolver at the metal, inbuilt lock of the cupboard. I didn't expect the lock to be too strong, considering that it came with the dorm facilities itself. It took me a few tries to aim it properly but I finally managed to break it enough. I took a shuddering breath and placed the weapon in my pocket, opening the metal door with a loud clang. I gazed at the compulsively neat cupboard, full of mostly clothes and a few coats hanging neatly. I was a little stunned as if I expected his monstrous nature to be reflected everywhere.

I started looking between the piles of clothes, searching for the sheets of paper. Adrenaline coursed through me. I had no way of knowing when he would return, I had to work fast. I climbed onto the bottom shelf, barely grabbing on as I reached the topmost shelf, my ears straining for any sound outside. I knew it hardly mattered, we had broken in and splintered his door and cupboard anyway. There was only one way from here on.

My fingers brushed against what seemed like a metal container. Curious, I reached for it, managing to pull it near the edge and taking it off the shelf. It was a metal box, what looked like a  dozen inches in width and breadth from the looks of it. I placed it on the ground and crouched down as I reached for the lid and opened it.

My heart jumped to my throat as I gazed at the several transparent bags with a colourless liquid lined up neatly inside the box. I picked up one of the packets, turning it around. There wasn't any label or descriptions on it which made me wonder if it was just one of the chemicals that Caleb had for his majors.

I studied the packet carefully, my heart stopping when I read the words at the very end written directly onto the plastic. A lot of symbols and letters were written in an untidy scrawl.

'Osmolarity of three hundred and twenty, Sodium concentration of twenty-nine mili-equivalent per litre, Potassium concentration of one twenty-five mili-equivalent per litre, potenz of hydrogen of seven point four at temperature of twenty degrees.'