He squeezed my shoulder briefly before he left, and I noticed Jake's eyes trailing after him. I was pretty sure Jake would end up staying to watch practice, but I didn't mind. Alex wouldn't do anything, after all.

“Alright then, let's go guys.”

“Actually.” Jake began, making Sophie frown. “I think I'll hang out here for a little while. You guys go on ahead.”

Sophie shrugged. “Suit yourself,” she mumbled, tugging me into the parking lot with her. Once we were far enough away for her to talk without being heard, she spoke again. “I don't know why you don't just sucker-punch him, he's totally trying to get with Alex.”

“I know,” I told her. She raised her eyebrows in surprise and looked at me, but I just smiled. “I know Alex, he's a sweetheart. He won't do anything with him. Plus he's oblivious, so he probably doesn't even notice. He just figures Jake's being nice. If Jake ever tries anything, Alex'll let him down easy.”

“You put a lot of faith in him.” Sophie sighed. “But okay. If you trust him, I trust him.”

“Thanks Sophie.” I said again. We smiled for a minute until we reached our cars, and Sophie looked at me over the roofs.

“See you tomorrow, birthday boy,” she said. I smiled widely as she ducked down and got into her car, starting it up and pulling out of the parking lot. I got into my own car as well, taking a minute to situate myself before I pulled out and headed home.

The house was dark when I got there, and when I walked into the kitchen, I saw a note on the fridge.

Went to get cake :)

Good job on history!

Happy birthday, be back soon! Love you!

I couldn't help a smile as I put the note on the counter, reaching into the fridge for a bottle of water before heading into the living room. I figured my parents would be back soon, so I set myself up on the couch to do homework.

When you have nothing but AP classes, you get swamped with homework and essays. But, I'd been taking AP classes since ninth grade, and by then, you get used to them.

Taking a drink of water, I settled into the couch and opened up my history binder, getting to work on our most recent essay.

I didn't mean to fall asleep.

When I woke up, the house was darker than before, and I heard a loud knock against the front door. Were mom and dad just now getting back? Why didn't they just unlock the door? That seemed a lot easier than constant, loud knocking.

I stumbled up from the couch, rubbing my eyes as I flicked on the light in the living room and went to the door, unlocking it before pulling it open.

“Victor Halcomb?”

I paused, glancing at the doorway. Instead of my parents, like I expected, were two police officers.

Why were there police officers at my house?

“Yes?” I said cautiously. One of them sighed heavily, a sigh that sounded like he was carrying the weight of the world on him.

“Son...your parents, Richard and Carrie Halcomb...there's been an accident.”

My grip on the door tightened, and I stared at the officers, not knowing what to say. An accident? What kind of accident?

“On the highway, a tractor-trailer lost control and caused a bit of a pile-up. There were three other cars involved, your parent's being one of them,” the officer explained, folding his hands in front of himself. “There was nothing we could do. They died on impact.”