14| Taking a Chance

Start from the beginning

"That's why I can't do it alone."

"I'm sorry but I cannot help you." I replied, hearing the hesitation in my own voice. Though that hesitation came from more selfish reasons that wanting to help the city, and that was why I had to turn down his offer. "When I left I swore I would never take another human life and I truly am afraid of how easily it can be to slip into old habits."

"You're afraid of your abilities. And I can understand that because you were raised to believe that they were deadly. But you can also use them to help people." He argued but seemed not want to push me any further, and for that I was grateful.

"But if it ever does begin to weigh down on you, I'll be happy to listen."

Oliver nodded as he stood, though I had a feeling there was still so much that he desired to say. "Thank you."

Oliver then opened to door to reveal Daniel Kelly who's hand was raised about to knock. Both friends seemed confused for a moment before slipping back into their confident personalities.

"Danny?" Oliver questioned as he looked from his friend to me, and by his expression I had a feeling that I have been a topic of conversation between the two.

"Hey Ollie. Didn't think I'd be seeing you in this building again." Daniel replied, referring to the Oliver's little show yesterday afternoon during the Applied Sciences ceremony. I could only imagine that Daniel was slightly irritated at his friends, because this project was important to him too. It was his first project representing his families company, and his spotlight became Oliver's.

"I just had a few questions for Diane, but I'm leaving now." He replied as he placed a hand on his friends shoulder before slipping out of the room, leaving Daniel to close the door behind him.

"So why was he here?"

I adjusted some papers that were across my desk and shrugged dismissively. "He just wanted t o know more about the Applied Sciences building."

Daniel took a seat across from me, occupying the chair that Oliver was in only moments ago. "Weird considering how bad at science Oliver had always been."

"Can I ask why you're here?" I questioned instead, not wanting him to think too deeply about why Oliver who publicly stated that he wanted nothing with his families company was just in my office.

"Did you get the roses?" He smiled then, that charming smile that came so naturally to me.

"Yes. I hated them." I stated keeping up the routine that somehow seemed to form between us.

"I knew you would." He replied his smile never faltering. "But maybe... just maybe they helped change that maybe of yours into a yes."

"Maybe."

That one word seemed to have completely shifted everything between the two if us. His natural confidence slipping into what almost seemed like uncertainty for a moment. "How about Friday night?"

I didn't know why I said what I said, feeling shocked that I said the words at all. But I knew I said them out of purely selfish reasons. "How about today after my shift?"

Daniel seemed completely stunned, almost seeing to wonder if he heard me correctly or if he had imagined the words coming out of my mouth. I felt myself question his intentions. Maybe accepting this diner would cause him to lose him interest in me. That to him this was all about the chase. "Tonight?"

"Yes, because if we plan it later on in the week I will probably change my mind." I replied honestly knowing for certain that was going to be the case.

"Tonight it is then."

***

Surprisingly I found myself enjoying my diner with Daniel, even though at times I found it difficult to keep him talking about himself. This night successfully accomplished what I wanted it to, I had forgotten all about Oliver Queen and his offer to be a vigilante. Yet, I couldn't deny my guilt at my cruelty to use Daniel in such a way. I was well aware that regardless of his reputation he was no Oliver Queen or Tommy Merlyn. Because Daniel Kelly had a kind heart that was not heavy with the problems carried by Queen and Merlyn. And maybe that was why I gravitated towards him. Seeking the light in the darkness that always plagued me.

"I fell like I've only been talking about myself this entire night. Why don't you tell me something about you." Daniel said as we walked out of the restaurant, having decided that he would simply walk me home as my apartment building was only a block away.

"Your life is a lot more interesting than mine." I replied dismissively hoping that he would stop attempting to push this any further. There wasn't much about my life that I could talk about, and I certainly didn't want to lie. He simply didn't deserve it.

"I highly doubt that. I can see a thousand untold stories in you eyes."

"How poetic." I said a small smile forming on my lips. There was a part of me that was irritated at how charming Daniel was, that even I couldn't stop myself from smiling at some of his crazy storied or thoughts. "But really there isn't much to say. I'm just a girl from The Glades."

He stopped then as he took both of my hands in his and turned them over on my palms to reveal that scares and calluses that covered the. "How about these?"

"These are from hard work. Something that you don't understand." I replied in a mocking tone as I slipped my hands out of his. But even I couldn't ignore my sudden defensiveness at his curiosity, that drowning fear that someone could find out what I really was. Because my hands were the ones of a killer and I couldn't stand that thought of him holding them.

"You're right I don't. But I would like if you gave me the chance to understand."

I felt like I really saw him then. Outside of the work environment and stripping away the rumors and gossip that seemed to follow Starling's three golden boys. And I realized that I was forcing myself to see him in a negative light because, some part of me knew that he's wasn't some spoiled billionaire's son. "Isn't that what I'm doing now?"

As he leaned forward, he paused giving me the chance to reject him or push him away. When I did neither of those things I watched as a small smile touched his lips before he pressed them against mine. His kiss surprised me in a way a part of me couldn't understand. I could feel so many emotions radiating off of him that I realized just how much he's liked me. Maybe that was what surprised me. Because regardless of the cruel indifference that I showed him before, he still desired to know me.

In turn I understood myself better then, my need to seek normalcy in my cruel life. And Daniel was giving me that normalcy that I craved, and the ability to let more people into my new life. There were days that I deeply missed Nyssa and I wondered what cruelties she must be facing by her father, but I had run away from the part of my life that held the woman who was like a sister to me. Now I had the opportunity completely sever my ties to my past.

***