10| Home

***

5 Years Later

"Oliver Queen is alive. The Starling City resident was found by fishermen in the North China Sea five days ago. Five years after he was presumed dead following the accident at sea which claimed The Queen's Gambit. Queen was a tabloid presence and fixture on the club scene. Before his disappearance, he was acquitted of assault stemming from a highly publicized drunken altercation with paparazzi. Queen is the son of Starling City billionaire Robert Queen who was also on board but now officially confirmed as deceased."

"Seems like your boss came back from the dead." Roy commented looking away from the T.V in order to continue eating his bowl of cereal. We were both getting ready to go to work, however he always seemed to take his time. Even when the car shop was almost on the other side of the city now. He's had every opportunity to get a better job out of The Glades, but over the years I've come to realize how sentimental Roy actually is.

"No my boss is Walter Steele." I corrected as I slipped on my heels, and although I said this I knew it wasn't going to be true for long. Now that Oliver Queen was back the only reasonable thing would be for him to want to work for the family company. "And occasionally Moira Queen."

Roy stood up and walked to the sink to wash his dirty bowl. "How messed up to you think the guy is?" He questioned seeming genuinely curious. "I mean five years on an island by yourself is sure to mess you up in someway."

Those were interesting questions, but not exactly the ones that I had been thinking. I was curious about the how. How did Oliver Queen manage to survive five years on an island by himself? We had only met him briefly two days before his disappearance and he didn't strike me a person with any knowledge of survival skills. Or possessing any valuable knowledge that didn't include hoe to get a naive women to go home with him.

"I guess we'll find out soon enough."

"So, what time are you coming home?" Roy asked, lately my schedule was inconsistent and I was coming home past ten. I knew Roy was worried about my working myself too hard, while I on the other hand was still worried that Roy was still going into The Glades. Since we first moved out two years ago that part of the city had gone from bad to worse. At this point it seemed that there was no saving it, and we were luck enough to get out of there at the time we did.

"I'm not sure." I replied as I picked up my bag from the counter. "But I'll call you. And you call me once you get back from work."

"Make sure you get all the gossip on Oliver Queen!"

***

I walked into my temporary office at Queen Consolidated only to find that there was already someone inside waiting for me.

"Mr. Kelly to what do I owe your visit today." I asked as I took a seat across more him. Although I always attempted to keep our interactions as professional as possible, but Daniel Kelly seemed to make that impossible.

"Good morning Diane." Daniel greeted brightly. "And how many times do I have to tell you to call me Daniel? Danny is also acceptable."

"I'll consider it." I told him, though I knew that the way that I addressed him was not going to change anytime soon. In his usual manner he smiled, a smile that I knew for a fact was the reason why so many women were falling at his feet. In a similar way the they were with Tommy Merlyn.

"Anyways I brought you the final contract for the applied sciences building." He stated as he slide the file across the desk towards me.

"Thank you, but you didn't have to come all the way down here yourself." I replied, trying to be as professional about this as possible. The last thing I needed was to upset the son of the man who was partnering with Queen Consolidated, but I also knew that Daniel Kelly wasn't the type of man who's ego was bruised easily. "I'm sure your father could have sent someone else."

Daniel casually leaned back against his chair and smiled. "I thought it would be more courteous if I brought it personally. Also, if you have any concerns you can let me know now and save us some more time.

I nodded as I picked up the file and began to look through each of the different contracts and clauses, having to insure that everything was as we agreed it to be in our last meeting. We settled in a silence that wasn't uncomfortable, but was unsettling in a way that I couldn't explain

"Shouldn't you be with your best friend who you haven'y seen in five years?" I questioned as I continued to look through the paperwork as quickly as possible. Walter also needed to sign these papers in order to give them back to the Kelly's so we could official begin construction on the applied sciences unit of Queen Consolidated in hopefully the next two weeks.

"Tommy is on his way to pick me up as we speak." He replied as he leaned closer across my desk, and although I wasn't planning on looking up I knew that he was smiling at me. "Besides you know I wouldn't miss an opportunity to see you."

I looked up at him as I closed the file. "Charming as always. But everything seems to be in order so you can go now."

"One more thing," Daniel said as he stood up and adjusted his suit. "Tommy is planning a welcome back party for Oliver...now I know parties and clubs really aren't your scene, but I thought that it wouldn't hurt to invite you."

"I don't believe that's appropriate."

Regardless of my response Daniel smiled, and I wondered how he could afford to smile so much. "Exactly the answer I was expecting, you never fail me Diane."

"Have a good evening Mr. Kelly." I simply replied as I waited expectantly for him to get out of my office. For the first time he seemed to give me a smile that didn't seem genuine before the left the room

***