Chapter 12

Itachi caught my sleeve as I was leaving the village.  "You wouldn't..."

I smiled at him sadly.  "She's right.  Everyone would be happier if I wasn't here."

He grabbed my shoulders.  "Kunoichi... she's upset.  She doesn't realize what she sa-"

I shook him off.  "Itachi, she was my other half, I would do mostly anything she asked of me.  She wants this, and I will not refuse her this if it would make her happy."

He took a step forward, but I turned away from him.  "It'll kill you... for real this time." 

I lowered my gaze.  "I can't do it now... it would fail."

I felt his arms around me and tensed.  "Even at your strongest, Kunouchi... the amount of chakra alone would've killed you."

I fought the urge to lean into him.  "What else can I do?  I can't disappear and never return. It would kill Minato and the others."

He sighed.  "We can figure it out.  She's hurting."

I pulled his arms from around me.  "It's not just her, Itachi. Izumi, and others in the village wish for the same as well.  Maybe it really would be better i-"

He shook his head.  "It wouldn't,  I can assure you of that much."

He tried to take my hand, but I avoided him.  "I need to think about it... alone."  I bit my lip as I walked away,  I could feel he was hurting again because of me.  I walked quickly, and only when I was sure I was a safe distance did I start to cry.

I knew what this would mean for me and those who got caught in my mind jutsu.  That's 17 years' worth of memories to erase...  there's no way I can do that in this state...

I splashed water in my face when I reached the waterfall.  Then, I continued to the others.  They looked up curiously.  "What?"

Ryo scratched his cheek.  "Well, I lost the bet... I thought you'd stay with Itachi tonight."

I scowled at them.  "Really?"

He shrugged.  "When you two are bad, you're apart.  When you're good, inseparable."

I thought for a moment and sighed.  "We were good until we were interrupted.  Anything interesting come up?"  They all shook their heads, and I nodded.  "Hey, Ryo, up for some nighttime sword play?"

He looked surprised.  "It's kinda late, Kunoichi."

I shrugged.  "I have energy to spare."

He smirked.  "Not when I'm through with you... let's do it."  We stood across from each other, waiting.  He struck first I parried, and our fight began.  I could tell he was holding back, so I pushed harder.

He responded in kind until he felt he was taking it too far.  I frowned, I wanted something to make me forget everything, if only for a moment.  I struck faster, pushing my limit, but he stopped, taking a knee.

My frown deepened.  "Why?"

He looked at me concerned.  "You can't push yourself so hard just yet, Kunoichi... look."

I looked down at my chest and saw blood.  "A stitch must've pulled loose. It's fine, I'm sure."

He shook his head.  "We stop here until Lady Tsunade looks at it."

I sighed in frustration.  "Fine..."  He threw a worried glance at the girls and rose.  "You three go ahead.  I want to enjoy the night air."

They didn't argue, but I felt their uncertainty.  When they were gone, I lifted my shirt and assessed the damage.  I sighed as I saw not one, but three stitches had come undone.  "I'm sure I'll hear something about this."

I heard a whistle and dropped my shirt.  "You did fill out nicely, Kunoichi.  Just as I remember..."

I kept my face neutral as fear struck my chest.  "Madara... I was wondering how long it would be before you came around."

I couldn't see his expression behind his mask.  "You've been waiting for me."

I sneered at him.  "You wish."

He clicked his tongue.  "Insolent as ever."

I planted my feet, prepared to flee.  "What do you want?"

He shrugged.  "I was around.  No need to run, I won't come closer."

I watched him.  "You finally know boundaries?"

He chuckled darkly.  "Don't be foolish... I will have you, but I always did enjoy when you put up a fight, and in your condition now..."

I raised my chin defiantly.  "All in the very distant past, now only in your dreams, Madara."

I felt his smirk.  "We shall see."  Then he was gone, I didn't hesitate once I felt his presence leave and ran.  I avoided the cabin, not wanting the others to be in danger, and went into the village.

I wandered for a bit.  "Where to go..."  The idea occurred to me, and I went to the other side of the village.  I hesitated before knocking on the door.  "Be here..."

I sighed in relief when I heard movement.  "There better b-"

I smiled sheepishly up at my old teacher.  "Ibiki-sensei..."

He scanned behind me and tilted his head in.  "What's wrong, kid?"

I watched the door as he closed it.  "This was the only place I was comfortable coming to... since you already know of my past."

His eyes shined with worry.  "Must have had you spooked if that's the case."

I nodded.  "He was here, Ibiki... Madara Uchiha."