Chapter 2

I sat at the window in my hospital room, looking out.  Tsunade promptly kicked everyone out soon after I was brought here, stating I needed to rest immediately.  I sighed.  So now no visitors... maybe I should go back...

There was a short knock before Tsunade came in.  "You should be in bed."  I blinked at her but didn't move or reply.  She sighed and handed me some medicine, which I eyed suspiciously.  "It will help with the pain, and so you can sleep."

I handed the cup back to her.  "No thanks."

She looked dismayed.  "You're safe here, Kunoichi."

I met her gaze.  You haven't really slept since you woke up...  "Have you found a way to better my condition?  And I have no interest in being put in a coma until you figure it out either."

She blinked, surprised.  "You will need transplants, possibly some reconstructive surgery.  Your bones healed well, though, so that's one thing we don't have to worry about.  Clearly, you've been told the risks..."

I nodded.  "If my heart races for too long or I give out of breath... I may not recover before I give out completely."

She nodded.  "And for those reasons... we have to be careful."

I looked at the door.  "So... no visitors?"

She shook her head.  "I have put in requests for the necessary transplants. We have already received a massive amount of feedback, all wanting you to get better. It's just a matter of finding a match now.  You have networked well."

I rested my head against the cool glass.  "How long?"

She sighed.  "Are you so eager to roam that you would meet your death?"

I sighed.  "I have no desire to be locked away, I've been careful for this long... a little more time couldn't hurt."

She placed a hand on my shoulder.  "We'll compromise... one visitor at a time for a short time."

I met her gaze.  "Ibiki first..."

She paused.  "But..."

I shook my head.  "I need answers, Tsunade.  He's who I need to speak to first."

She nodded.  "After... you take the medicine."  I nodded.  "Very well then."

I waited patiently in the windowsill and turned when the door opened.  I gave a small smile to the scarred man as he paused in the door.  "I almost didn't believe it..."

I nodded.  "I have this habit of not staying dead, apparently."

He chuckled and activated the Silencing Seals.  "Lady Tsunade said you had questions."

I watched his face and eyes.  "I'm not able to connect with your mind right now, Ibiki, but I trust you will not lie to me."

He didn't waver.  "So long as you don't have too strong a reaction..."

I sighed.  "Bothersome old croon... very well, I'll do my best."  He nodded.  "I've seen Aya, Chihiro, and Minato... what of the others?"

He averted his gaze.  "That... may be too much right now."

I arched a brow.  "I need you to understand, Ibiki-sensei... if I can't find my answers here, I will return to where I came from and find them elsewhere."

He must have taken me seriously because he sighed and returned his gaze to mine.  "Lord Third... he survived but is out of commission.  Naruto has left with Master Jiraiya for training.  Your friend, Ryo, has been helping rebuild and doing missions for the village.  Aya and Hinata have been doing what they can to help as well.  Sasuke..."

I heard the hesitation.  "Sasuke?"

He sighed.  "He left... to join Orochimaru."

I took a deep breath.  "Foolish boy..."

Ibiki nodded.  "Naruto and Itachi did everything he could once he recovered to stop him, but he still went."

My breath hitched, and I had to force myself to breathe calmly.  "Itachi..."

Ibiki nodded slightly.  "He's alive... just... distant, I guess, is a way to put it."

I searched Ibiki's eyes.  "Does he know?"

He shrugged.  "I don't know... even if he did, he may not believe it, much like me."

I nodded and touched my chest lightly.  "Very well... that's enough for today."

Ibiki watched me carefully.  "Kunoichi... are you well enough to tell me what happened?"

I looked up at him.  "I decimated the village that brought harm to my loved ones..."

He blinked.  "And after?"

I frowned.  "Not much, a friend found me and took me to get help.  I slept for 3 months, then woke up.  I left them and came here once I could do so without dying.  That would've been non-productive."

Ibiki sat back in his chair.  "Why?"  I watched him, silent.  "Why do this?"

I shrugged.  "They committed a great offense... I repaid them in kind."

His expression was a mixture of sadness and concern.  "Was it really worth this, though?"

I nodded.  "If I had to choose again... I would change nothing."

He shook his head in disbelief.  "We thought..."

I stood and placed a hand on his shoulder.  "You thought wrong."  I got in the bed.  "You can tell Tsunade I'll take her medicine now."

As soon as he left, she entered, pills in hand.  "Now, get some rest."  I took them without objection and turned over.  I was elated and sad all at the same time.  He's alive...

So... will you go through with the treatment now.

I don't know...

You won't complete all your goals without it...

I'll sleep on it, Fox...

Wait too long, and they will put you back in a coma... no one wants to see you die after all.

I said we would see... now do me a favor and let me sleep...

Brat...

Hmmm...