8: The First Selections

Yui Utsugi's POV

It was finally the day of the first selections.

To be truthful, I haven't really gotten used to performing in front of a big crowd, or rather, it has been some time since I performed to an audience.

The last time, was that fateful competition 6 years.

Thinking about it, sure brought back painful memories.

I was in the changing room with another girl, who was one of the other first year music student who were competing in the concords.

I gave a lot of thought into what I was going to wear and how I was going to present myself, because after all, I was to be performing in front of distinguished guests and... music students.

Even if I wanted to, I couldn't be a disgrace.

I wore a black dress which revealed my bare shoulders and arm warmers which wrapped my arms neatly. For accessories, I wore gold, glistening earrings.

Because I usually didn't put on any make up, I decided to pamper myself this time round

So, I decided to dress up a little bit for the performance. I put on makeup, lipstick included. The overall feel of the make up is that it was light enough to show my facial features, but not thick enough to show that it was overbearing.

And... I was done.

I examined myself in the mirror.

Well, I looked completely different from the normal Yui Utsugi which usually went around school.

I hoped this was enough to impress.

"Attention all participants and performers of the first selections, we are commencing shortly. Please proceed to the backstage immediately. Thank you."

The announcement was made by Kanazawa-sensei to gather us.

This is it, huh.

This was... the moment I've been preparing so hard for.

I quickly slipped into my heels that were too high for comfort, and walked out of the changing room and proceeded backstage.

Glancing around, I observed that the participants were already standing backstage with their instruments in hand. All of them looked so well dressed, and groomed.

Tsukimori, Yunoki and Hihara were already there.

They dressed up almost perfectly in their suits and tuxedos.

I gasped slightly at how... beautiful they looked.

Hihara waved at me.

"Utsugi-chan!" Hihara walked up to me and observed me from head to toe. "Ehh, you look amazing!"