Surprise

One and a half month has passed since Kelvin personally asked to court me. Every weekend, he either visits me at home or we go out for a meal. We both have been busy sa work kaya di na rin kami nagkikita masyado during weekdays. Because of that, he always reserve a day during weekends to visit or see me. One of those days, I've also met Kelvin's family. Yes, he invited me one time at his place. It was actually his grandparents anniversary and I am his plus one sa event. He introduced me as his nililigawan and all of his relatives kind of plead me na sagutin na si Kelvin.

"Sasagutin mo naman ang anak ko diba?" biro ng Papa nya while we are eating. Almost all his relatives said the same thing. I did not say anything but I gave them a smile. I hope through that, I was able to assure them that all of Kelvin's efforts to pursue me will end on whatever they are hoping for to happen. That I will say yes to be his girlfriend. I have a plan, actually. Yes, I am planning to say yes to Kelvin and it will be on his birthday this coming Wednesday. I've also asked help from Mirianne and Eve for this. I just want to be the one to initiate and make effort this time. Kelvin had been nothing but patient and understanding with me. Also, the effort he has made to court me led me to do this. Every now and then, he will surprise me with delivered meals or flowers at my office. Close na din sila ng Papa at Mama ko and they call him 'anak' already. I love how he really went out of his way to court not just me, but my parents as well.

Eve:
So your plan is sa birthday nya mo sya sasagutin? Waaaaahhh... kinikilig ako. I never thought you have this in you Mary. I mean most of us girls is sasabihin na lang na 'yes tayo na' pero 'kaw, may ganito pang plan.

Mirianne:
Hehe true! Tapos kakuntyaba pa ang family hahahaha!

Mary:
I think he deserves it. Grabe ang naging effort nya sakin. All those meet up rejections and waiting. Alam nyo naman yun diba?

Eve:
Yes. I am just so happy for you, Mary!

Mirianne:
Same here. All for your happiness baby. Let me know how I can help.

So I've tell my friends the plan. Di naman sya complicated, I just want to throw him a simple birthday party sa house nila. I've talk to his parents and his younger sister about this and they were very supportive. They also officially welcomed me in their family.

"Ate na talaga kita? Yehey!" said Kyline, Kelvin's little sister. I video called his father to tell them the plan.

"Welcome to the family, Mary. Masaya ako na sasagutin mo na ang anak ko at sa special day pa nya," Mrs. Altamonte said. Mr. Altamonte just smiled and showed me a thumbs up.

It will be just an intimate event. His and my family, Mirianne, Eve, Ron and his 3 closest friends. Since his birthday will fall on a Wednesday, he will need to work from 9am to 4pm that day. All of the foods are just take outs. Mirianne and Eve helped me to order all his favorite foods since they both know great places that cook those meals he likes. I also asked help from his sister to ask him to go home first before going to me. Ang plan namin kasi ay magkikita lang kami after work to eat dinner and watch a movie. Di naman kasi talaga daw sya nagpaparty and usually, inuman lang daw with friends.

Today is the day and I took a whole day leave. I am already at Kelvin's house by 1pm to set everything ready. By 3pm, as we prepare and put some decorations in their house, Kelvin send an iMessage for our date today. He is just confirming the time na susunduin ako sa office. What he knows is pumasok ako and I had to lie and tell him na naghalf day ako and I am at home already. I also tell Kyline to send his brother a message na pauwiin muna sya sa bahay because kunwari, may ibibigay sya para sakin. Kelvin loves his sister dearly and spoils her so much I know he will abide by her request. This way, he will not go directly sa bahay namin pagkalabas nya sa university, and will stop by sa bahay nila where a surprise is waiting for him.

Quarter to 4, ready na ang lahat and everyone is in Kelvin's house already, including my parents. Everyone is wearing a party hat and has a party blower in hand. Since the university is near Kelvin's residence, he arrived home at 4:15. We waited until he opened the entrance door and greeted him instantly as soon as he steps in.

"Happy birthday, Kelvin!"

He looked so surprise to see everyone of us.
We then sang him a happy birthday while Kelvin's friends are blowing the party blowers. It was a chaos but a happy one. After the song, he first went to his family and kissed them.

"Happy birthday, 'nak."

"Happy birthday, kuya!"

He then went and greeted my parents next.

"Happy birthday, iho," my mother greeted him and gave him a hug.

"Happy birthday son in law" my Papa said tapping his shoulder and everyone roared because of it. Ron blowed the party blower hard while his other friends were clapping and teasing him.

"Wooooooooo!"

He then thanked and greeted my friends and his friends after.

"Happy birthday gago!" Ron and his other guy friends greeted and they all gave Kelvin a high five.

Miranne and Eve greeted him too and gave him a small hug as well.

After going through everyone, he then looked at my direction and stared at me. I thought I am already used with all his stares but he was still able to cause havoc in my breathing. All of them started teasing us as he walked towards my direction.

"Yiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeee!!!"

"Sabi mo nasa bahay ka," Kelvin said to me smirking.

This is it. The very reason as to why this party was planned in the first place. My heart continued beating wildly as I walked towards the cake that is nicely placed in the table. I tried my best to walk straight even though my knees feel like they are about to fall already. I lighted the candle and carry the cake with me. I walked in his direction and stop about 2 steps from him. I took a deep breath and leaned to give him a kiss on his cheek.

Everyone went wild as I did that and I had to wait until everyone calmed down a bit. I can feel my cheeks burning and Kelvin smiled widely at me while biting his lips. I also heard Mirianne shouting to everyone to be silent.

"Silent muna, may sasabihin si Mary. Baka di marinig ni chinito!," sigaw ni Mirianne sa lahat.

"Happy birthday" I said smiling and showed him his birthday cake. He had to look twice on what was written in there and all of us witnessed how his eyes widen on what he saw on his cake.

"What the?!"

All of us laughed because of his reaction. He took a couple steps away from me then walked closely to me again. He did that thrice and his friends started teasing him.

"Ano dude, di mo naintindihan nabasa mo? Professor ka pa naman, nu ba yan!" Ron shouted which earn a laugh from all of us.

"Wait lang shit! Di ako makahinga!" Again all of us laugh and he kept looking at me then back at the cake, then me, then the cake again. Same as him, I am having a hard time breathing now, but this time I know its because of pure happiness. When he finally grasped everything that is written in his cake, he close his eyes and took a deep breath. He stared at me as soon as he opened his eyes again.

"Wala nang bawian to," he said looking straight into my eyes.

I equaled his stares and look at him staright in his eyes, too. "Hmmm. Wala naman akong planong bawiin." I said and smiled at him. He then close the distance between us and enveloped me in a hug. Everyone clapped and yelled as soon as he embraced me. Eve had to get the cake from my hands carefully. Once my hands were freed, I then closed the gap and hugged him as well. I circled my arms around his neck and his' were circled around my waist. He settled his nose in the crook of my neck and I can feel his breathing and heart beat because of how close our body are. I am glad that our hearts are beating the same rhythm right now. We hugged for almost a minute with everyone's teases, whistles, and claps in the background. I then tiptoed a bit to reach his ear and whisphered to him the same message written in his birthay cake.

"Happy birthday, boyfriend."
_________________

AN: It's official! Sila na po 😉