Chapter 3

Loving You Is Harder Than You Know

Chapter 3

Bryce’s P.O.V

I sighed. We had just gotten back from Max’s. Boy is he hot. I really like him. It’s weird. I’ve never felt as strong as a connection to him before and I’ve just met him. I’m glad mum arranged this when I was 14. If she didn’t I probably wouldn’t have met him. I smiled to myself. He seems like the shy type. Always looking uncomfortable when I’m close to him. I’m not saying I’m not like that. Well, I was before, but I want to change. If two people are shy it wont work, nothing will happen. And this is a chance to put my past behind me.

I changed the song on my iPod and started to drift off to sleep

“Bryce.” I heard someone whisper.
“Uhh, what?” I said groggily.

“Shh.” They said, putting a finger on my mouth. I closed my mouth and started to relax but I tensed up when I felt a cold sting on my neck. I opened my eyes to see Max, on top of me. When did this happen.
“Max?” I asked. He looked up at me.
“Yes?” He asked.

“What’s going on?” I asked.
“Oh, nothing really.” He said kissing his way up to my jaw.

“I’m serious, how did you get in my room?” I asked pushing him off of me. He sat up and pouted.
“So that’s what I get for trying. Just rejection.” He said and got off of me.

“What?” I asked. He looked back but this time it was Josh. My ex.

“H- how?” I stuttered.

“Look. I think I better tell you. Your relationship with Max, is going to go no where. You might as well just give up.” He said.
“And how would you know?” I asked back. He just laughed.

“I’m his best friend.” He said and disappeared.

I woke up, sitting in bed, sweat covering me, the sheets all tangled. What? Best friend? I’ll have to ask him. I got up and walked into the bathroom. I undressed and started the water. When it was perfect temperature I got in. I sighed. The cool water relaxed my muscles. And yes I prefer cold showers to hot. After about 10 minutes I got out of the water. I got changed and walked out into the kitchen. I pulled out the cornflakes from the cupboard and placed it on the bench. I walked over to the fridge and was about to get the milk but I was interrupted by a knock on the door. I sighed. It was probably one of mums ‘friends’. I walked over to the door and opened it. My eyes widened a bit.
“M-max?” I stuttered. Why the hell was he here.
“Hi, umm, my mum said I should come over, get my mind off things.”  He said quietly, looking down at the ground.

“Get your mind off what things?” I asked. The only that he would have to get his mind off things is the marriage thing, and seeing me wouldn’t help that situation.

“Well, it’s kind of personal.” He said, walking in. I closed the door and laughed.
“Well, we’re engaged now right? So you can tell me.” I said smirking. He glared at me, he may seem shy and innocent but his glare was actually pretty worrying.

“I’d rather not tell you, so just drop it.” He said and walked into the lounge room.  I rolled my eyes. Why was he being so iffy? I’d get him to tell me one way or another. I walked back into kitchen and continued to make my cereal. I took it out into the lounge room and out it on the coffee table. I sat on the floor and started eating. I looked up at Max who had a frown on his face, looking down at the corner of the coffee table on the other side of me. His eyes started watering and a sob escaped his lips. I jumped up from the floor and sat on the couch next to him, wrapping him in my arms. He clung onto me and started crying into my shirt. He continued to sulk and he held onto me tighter as tears rolled down his cheeks.

“Shh, it’s alright.” I said, trying to sooth him, but it didn’t work.
“How is everything alright?” He asked pulling back, his eye liner running down his cheeks.

“I was uhh.” Was all I could say. He gave me one last look and started walking out and down the hall. I sighed and got up, trying to follow him. He had walked in to the bathroom and was now fixing his eye liner. I stood in the door way, leaning on the door pane. I waited awhile until I spoke.
“Will you please just tell me?” I asked. He looked up from his position; he was leaning on the sink.

“You want to know huh?” He asked, his voice sounding dangerous.

I just nodded my head. He laughed bitterly.

“Well,” He said turning to face me. “I went to Nick’s house to tell him. But little did I know, he didn’t care.” He said laughing, with an evil tone to it.

“Why? What happened?” I asked. He just laughed that creepy laugh again.

“Well, he was off with someone behind my back.” He laughed harder and collapsed on the floor. I rolled my eyes.
“Look, don’t you think you’re over re-acting a wee bit?” I asked. He shook his head, chuckling.

“First of all, I loved him but that died down as soon as I saw him with Rick, our best friend.” He said and continued to laugh.

“It’s like one big joke. But of course you wouldn’t get it. The only way you would get this joke is if you have suffered any heart break. And from the looks of you, you seem like a guy who breaks hearts, not needing there’s mended.” He said and smirked. I glared at him.

“You know nothing about me,” I said in a low tone. Then I smirked. ”But if you’re curious, ask your dear friend Rick.” I said with venom dripping from my words. I walked out from the bathroom and into my room.

“Wait what?” He yelled out after a while. I grabbed my chucks and put them on. I didn’t care what my hair looked like right now. I walked out of the front door, slamming it in Max’s face. Mum was still in the house so she could lock it. I heard the door open then close again, but I continued to walk.
“HEY WAIT!” He yelled out and grabbed my wrist. He turned me around and I met his gaze with a cold one.

“What has Rick go to do with this?” He asked. This was my turn to laugh bitterly.
“Has he ever said anything about someone he broke up with?”  I asked. He slowly nodded.
“Yeah.” He said.

“Well that was me.” I simply said and started walking off again. I heard him groan and grab my wrist again but I roughly pulled it out of his grasp. Can’t the kid just leave me alone?
“Wait!” He yelled out. I turned around and he was right in my face.

“What?” I asked through gritted teeth. He shrunk down a bit but kept his stance.
“Look, just because he broke up with you, doesn’t mean you can be a dick to me. What did I ever do to you? At least I’m trying to be nice.” He said and walked around me and down to his bike. I sighed.
“Max.” I whined turning around. He looked over at me with a bored expression. I sighed again.
“I’m sorry for having a go at you for no reason. It’s just it’s still gotten me a little upset that’s all.” I admitted, looking down at the ground. I thought he had already left because he didn’t say anything, but then I felt two arms wrap around me. I looked up to see Max with a sad smile on his lips. I licked my lips. I know it’s bad, but I really want to kiss him. Now, off all times, I don’t know why.

“We can suffer together.” He whispered. I smiled and ruffled his hair. He frowned at me and I laughed, he looked too cute. He cracked a smile and some how he had gotten closer. His face about an inch away from mine. My gaze suddenly fell to his lips again. I looked in his eyes. He smiled a bit and nodded.