Chapter Nine: Eighth Year - Part II

Start from the beginning

"I do not tolerate name-calling during my meetings, Smith" the Head Boy coolly replied, piercing a terrible glare towards the terrible boy. "If you cannot act civil during said meetings, I think it is best if you just leave."

Instead of backing down, the Hufflepuff lifted his chin, a challenging look in his eyes. "Well," he drawled, "I'm not wrong, am I?"

"Honestly, Smith, can you please just shut up?" Ginny suddenly shrieked, wand on her hand again. "Boog – "

"Ginevra," Hermes called out, halting Ginny's incantation. The fiery red head shot him a glare due to his choice of name and his disruption. "I do not tolerate throwing hexes in my meetings either."

"But, Her – "

The Head Boy expelled a deep sigh, his annoyance draining away from his body until all he felt was exhaustion and wariness. "Please, can we all just get back on track?" he said, bordering pleading. Zacharias Smith balled his hands into fists but blessedly clammed his mouth and looked away. Hermes threw Ginny another pointed glare until Ron's sister finally lowered her wand.

"Thank you," Hermes said with another sigh, this time of relief, and refused to glance at the silent Head Girl beside him. "So, okay, Yule Ball. Malfoy, what were you saying about inviting the younger students?"

Iris' lips thinned, suddenly annoyed at being addressed once more. Hermes fully looked at her and waited for her reply. It was obvious she very much wanted to keep silent throughout the whole meeting, but Hermes was having none of it. She was Head Girl, and her opinion mattered as much as his and the other prefects.

"Again," she said, her voice clipped and tensed, "I think it is best to invite the younger students if we plan to organize a Yule Ball."

"I don't think McGonagall will approve," Hermes replied, ignoring how her eyes slightly narrowed. "We must still adhere to their curfew after all. The Headmistress will think they're too young to attend such festivities. Loathe as I am to admit, there are students who may dare to... tamper with food and drinks, which the younger students may fall victim to."

Hermes could already feel another headache as he imagined numerous Howlers from furious parents demanding why their eleven-year-olds were passed out drunk the night before.

"Then, we just have to be stricter in monitoring the food and beverages," she simply pointed out.

A small frown started to form on his face. "Mal – "

"They had it worse last Christmas, Granger."

Hermes swallowed down his protest, surprised with the brief raw emotion that broke through her icy façade. For a moment, grey eyes met brown before Iris stared down at her parchment once more. Hermes noticed her that right hand was shaking, but the Slytherin immediately hid it underneath the table.

"She's... right." The Head Boy shifted his gaze at Ginny, who now had a hooded look in her blue eyes that almost resembled the emotion Malfoy showed a while ago. "We can at least let them enjoy Christmas at Hogwarts for a change."

At his periphery, he could see that Iris was surprised with Ginny's concurrence. She was once again dutifully writing on her parchment with her repaired quill. Hermes quickly glanced over her notes but wasn't able to read everything. He could deduce, however, that Iris was already listing down all the ideas that she had for the Yule Ball.

"Fine," Hermes said with a disgruntled sigh. "If it's what everyone wants, we'll do it. All in favor?"

All hands shot up in the air. "Well, that's it then," he said. "We'll convene again next week to discuss the committees and delegate tasks. In the meantime, try to come up with as many suggestions as possible." He glanced at Iris once again and added, "Malfoy? Will you add something?"