"I can't," she muttered. "I'm happy."

Well, he couldn't argue with that. He was happy too.

"Ah-un. Take us down."

The creature fell gently to the surface. Kagome plopped her basket onto the ground. With a clap, she and her children ran to the couple. Rin held the baby in her arms, but he was covered in a blanket, so the family could not see him. Kagome went to hug Rin, but Sesshomaru stood in front of her and arched a brow at his half brother's wife.

Kagome stopped to bow and smiled. "Uh... Hello, Sesshomaru. How are you?"

"Your enthusiasm nearly caused you to crash into my child. I would appreciate it if-"

Immediately, he was cut off by Kagome's ear-splitting scream.

"Let me see! Let me see!"

Rin began to laugh and walked around her husband. Her son was already becoming restless and wanted to stretch his legs. The baby cooed when she moved the blanket away from his face, and he squealed once he saw the sky. When Kagome saw the little bundle of white, her face turned to an alarming shade of red, and Rin wondered if she would be okay after this ordeal.

The baby remained by Rin's side, holding onto his mother's leg. When he looked up at Kagome, he pouted his lips and said, "Momma?"

Rin caressed his little head to comfort him. Though a happy baby, he was also shy and rather quiet. Like his father, he did not speak very much. In fact, she hadn't heard a gurgle from him for months. When he finally said his first word, it turned out to be "dada," which confused her somewhat, since she had been saying Mommy for weeks. That day, she ran to Sesshomaru. He was conferring with allies from the Western regions about various battles taking place throughout the Island. Upon her arrival, he raised his hands to silence the other demons, and focused his attention solely on his wife. With an inclination of his head, she spoke breathlessly.

"Sesshomaru, he spoke! He said his first word!"

He showed no facial sign of excitement, but she could detect it by the way he stopped breathing entirely.

"We shall discuss this later," he told the demons surrounding him. Then he followed Rin to their bedroom. The baby was already crawling toward the door. Rin lifted the child and the baby giggled.

"Tell him what you said, my love."

Sesshomaru stood there, waiting in anticipation. Rin held the baby's hand and pointed it at his father. At the sight of him, the baby revealed two small teeth and laughed.

"Dada!"

Rin watched Sesshomaru's reaction, and was surprised to find that he simply stared at the child, though his gaze was unblinking. She frowned. "My love, did you hear?"

He remained still, as if frozen.

"Sesshomaru?"

The baby squealed again. "Dada!" He reached for his father's hold, and Sesshomaru finally moved, jumping into action. He grabbed a hold of his boy, and rested his forehead against his. The two were quiet, though Rin swore she could hear her heartbeat, echoing throughout the halls.

Sesshomaru then spoke, whispering the baby's name, "Makino."

The child replied with a kiss to his father's forehead. Sesshomaru closed his eyes and breathed in his scent. When he turned to Rin, he found her weeping. She wiped the clear rivulets, but they came unbidden and she laughed with a shrug.

"I'm fine," she told him so he wouldn't worry.

Still, her tears always concerned him, so he walked toward her, then stretched his other arm around his wife. The three held each other in silence, until Makino granted his mother a messy kiss. The two laughed, while Sesshomaru watched them both with amusement swimming in his golden eyes.