( CHAPTER THREE ― A PAYMENT OWED )

[ act i - a noble like her ]
CHAPTER THREE
( a payment owed )

    — SOON ENOUGH ELIZABETH FOUND HERSELF WANDERING the halls of her home

— SOON ENOUGH ELIZABETH FOUND HERSELF WANDERING the halls of her home. Supper was finished and both of her parents retired to their room. She on the other hand took it upon herself to roam before going to bed. Her feet carried her up the stairs to her room. Before her hand could twist the doorknob to enter she heard a loud painful groan. Her breath hitches in her throat as she left to go back down to the servants' quarters. She found herself face to face with Lydia, one of the kitchen servants.

"Lady Elizabeth," Lydia spoke as she bowed slightly. "I am sorry for the noise"

"No need for the apology Lydia, how is he doing?" Elizabeth asked.

"Not too well my lady," Lydia said as she shifted the bowl to her other hand. "He's running a fever and has a nasty cough."

Elizabeth placed a hand on Lydia's arm, "Make some tea and have someone fetch some cold water." Elizabeth smiled lightly. "When you're done, bring the tea and see yourself to bed. It's been a long day."

Lydia's brows furrowed in confusion, "But my lady the man..." Lydia pointed to the door he was behind.

"I'll tend to him. I brought him here, it's only right." Elizabeth finished as she ushered Lydia to the kitchen.

When she was out of sight, Elizabeth entered the room. The man, Harry, was on his side his back facing her, and a large hand placed on his side where his stitches were. Elizabeth wondered what's in God's name happened to this man and where he came from. The door was opened and Dawson entered, he had brought in a bucket of cold water.

"Where would you like me to set it, Lady Elizabeth?" He asked motioning to the bucket.

"Right here is fine, thank you." She motioned to the empty space next to her as she sat down on the chair.

Dawson only nodded before placing the bucket down and leaving, closing the door behind him. Elizabeth then turned her attention to Harry, she placed her hand on his shoulder, she could feel how hot he was. Lydia was right he was burning up. Elizabeth has two options; she could either have him sweat out the fever or she could have him bring it down by sitting in awfully cold water. Harry groaned as Elizabeth pulled on his shoulder to get him to turn over.

Slowly Elizabeth brought a cloth that was damp from the cold water to his forehead, sweat dripped down his neck. The door was opened once more and Lydia made her way over to Elizabeth with a cup of tea, Lydia placed it on the small table that was pulled toward the bed.