⁰⁸ Funeral's Suck!

ابدأ من البداية

She shook her head and finished showering quickly, sniffles coming from her once in a while.

The girl pulled her dad's large hoodie over her thinning figure and athletic shorts before looking at herself in the mirror.

The bags under her eyes were dark and purple, her eyes were puffy and dull, her nose was red and the skin around it was raw from always having to wipe it.

Imogen bit her chapped lip to keep it from quivering as she wiped her tears away with a sleeve. Looking at her reflection, she connects eyes with her own, whimpering.

"Everything's gonna be okay," she mumbled, nodding at herself in the mirror before opening the door and walking hesitantly down the stairs.

Imogen felt alien when she took that last step off the stairs, hesitantly making eye contact with her family that looked over towards her from their place on the couch where they were watching a movie.

"Hi," the girl gave a little wave towards her family who was looking at her with comforting smiles.

"Hey, my baby!" her mom, Margie exclaimed, grinning as she opened her arms widely, gesturing for Imogen to sit in between her and Ivan.

Imogen glanced at her dad, swallowing when he just nodded with a smile. She walked around the couch before sitting down in between them as Steve looked at her in concern.

"How are you doing, Immy?" he asked, looking towards his little sister from his place on the recliner by the couch.

Imogen glanced at the three's faces, seeing the hope in their eyes, not wanting that to dim she just nodded, smiling softly. "Better."

Margie squeezed Imogen into her side, kissing the girl's forehead. "Good... She would want you happy."

Imogen clenched her jaw, looking down as she blinked back her tears. "Yeah."

Ivan noticed her action, sharing a look with his son before turning to Imogen with a grin. "Want me to order pizza? You could pick the next movie."

Margie rolled her eyes, scowling at her husband, "You can't always eat pizza, Ivan. You're gonna get fat."

"I'll take my chances." Imogen snorted at her dad, watching the man get up and run to the kitchen to call the pizza place.

──

Later that night, after 2 movies and 2 boxes of pizza, Imogen was lying on her bed, staring up at the ceiling, her hands on her stomach.

She could hear the snores of her dad and the pages of the book her mom was reading flipping, she could hear the sound of Steve going downstairs to eat leftover pizza as a midnight snack, and lastly, she could hear the faint raindrops hitting her window.

The girl glanced at her bedroom door, seeing the three-inch crack she left, slowly getting up from the bed she walked over to the door and softly closed it, locking it with a click.

Imogen turned off the light switch before running and jumping onto her bed, panting as she clumsily turned on the lamp on her side table feeling the hairs on her neck stand up in feeling paranoid.

She sighed in relief when she got the light on, the purple-ish fluorescence shining on her figure.

The girl calmed before finally lifting her pillow, grabbing the small object that was now on a necklace chain, fiddling with it.

She sat with her back against her headboard, leaning towards the lamp, tears in her eyes as she let the purple light illuminate the small, but precious metal.