Deal Or No Deal

[Rayne]

"Tick-tock, tick-tock," Azazel taunted. "What's it gonna be, sweetheart? I haven't got all day."

The flicker of the candles from the ritual by my feet, the drip-drip-drip of water leaking from a pipe somewhere up above, the demon standing before me, asking me for my soul; when exactly had my life turned into a cheap horror film?

"Rayne, don't do it!" John next to me urged quietly.

I could hear it in his voice, however: he didn't really mean it. We both knew what was at stake. To John, I was just some girl that his son was dating — the same girl that now held the power to save his son's life.

John wanted me to stay safe, sure. But he wanted Dean to live more. And I couldn't exactly blame him because I had arrived at the same conclusion.

If Dean wasn't likely to die at any moment, and I had time to recover properly, I could have probably healed him with my powers without collapsing halfway through. However I wasn't about to gamble with his life by waiting.

Raising my chin, I looked at the demon and willed my voice not to waver. "Two months."

Azazel's yellow-rimmed pupils dilated as he studied me with a predator's unwavering attention. "Two months?"

"Yes, give me two months, and then I'll give myself over to you without protest."

He crossed his arms over his chest and leaned forward with interest. "So let me get this straight," he said, "John over here gives me the Colt, I bring back dear old Dean from the brink of death, and then in two months time you come to me, no questions asked?"

I gave him a terse nod. "That's right."

Azazel titled his head and pressed his lips together in thought.

"What are you doing?" John hissed, low enough for only me to hear.

"I'm not letting Dean die." I didn't turn around to look at him.

John didn't have time to answer when Azazel suddenly clapped his hands together. "One month."

My mouth went dry. "What?"

"One month or no deal. Although even five years wouldn't be long enough for you to figure out how to destroy me if that's what you were hoping to achieve with this, so I'm really not sure why you're prolonging the inevitable. Now what's your answer, Raindrop? Deal or no deal?"

Observing his confident posture and smug smirk, I knew he wouldn't go for anything higher. It was either that, or he would back out all together and force me to give myself up in some other way — a way in which I wouldn't be getting anything in return. My fingernails bit into my palms, and I forced them to relax. I stuck out my surprisingly steady hand and he took it eagerly.

"Deal," I said.

"Deal," he echoed, an enigmatic smile on his face.

And just like that, my fate was sealed.

~~~

It didn't take long after that for Azazel to scurry along like the rat that he was — Colt in hand — with the promise to see me in exactly one month.

John and I were on our way upstairs to see Dean. For the moment being, I was so desperate to see him awake and alive, that knowing what I gave up for that to happen didn't even matter to me. John stood behind me in the empty elevator, and I knew it was only a matter of seconds before he said something. The doors slid shut, and I heard him exhale. "What was the point of that?" he asked. "What good will a month do?"