Fixing a broken heart

That night the alcohol was flowing and spirits were high. Neither me nor Bruce drank that much as we were already quite tired and did not want to get that drunk, especially when Tony decided that he wanted to play a game. He wanted to play seven minutes in heaven. 

Tony proceeded to run around and picked out a object to represent us all and then got us to roll a dice, whoever scored highest went first, that turned out to be Bruce. Tony started saying things quietly to Bruce which made his face redden a little but none of us could work out what he was saying, or rather who he was talking about. Bruce then put his hand into the bag and pulled out the button that used to be installed for a 'Code Green', I saw his body stiffen when he pulled it out of the bag and before I knew it, Tony was dragging us into the closet. 

Once the door was shut I grabbed the button he was still holding out of his hands and threw it into the corner behind me. "I am so sorry Brucie, I thought we had gotten rid of that long ago." I didn't hear a reply, but then I felt his hands grab mine and hold onto them tightly, looking me deep in the eye and pulling me into a tight hug. He then whispered in my ear, "I know Erin. It isn't you who needs to apologise, so stop doing it for other people." I smiled at this and continued to hug him. As we pulled apart I said, "sit with me?" and he did. I snuggled into his shoulder and he kept a protective arm around me, it was in silence but comfortable. The door swung open, we got up to leave but just before I walked out of the door he grabbed my arm, hugged me and said "I was happy you were by my side today, it really helped. Also it's nice to know someone has your back." We then sat back down and watched as the rest of the game commenced. 

After the game a few people went to get more drinks and one or two were "tired" so decided to head off and go to bed. There was music, laughter and chatter until about 11pm when more and more people started to leave. It was about that time when I too left, I thanked Tony for the amazing party and went to go and get some sleep as I hadn't had much the previous night due to the project. 

I got to my room, had my shower and changed into my pjs. I tried hard to go to sleep but nothing was working - I was still wide awake. I decided to go and get a drink from the kitchen to try and help me get to sleep. I walked in and saw Bruce sitting on one of the bar stools on the island of the kitchen. "I thought you would be sleeping." I told him, 

"Same goes for you," he said, "Can't sleep?" 

"No, I just keep tossing and turning and nothing will work so I decided to get a drink." I said, "Do you want to go and get some fresh air?" I asked. He nodded and followed me out to the balcony. 

It was surprisingly warm when we stepped out, the street was quieter than during the day but there were still cars driving around. The moonlight lit up the sky and illuminated the tall buildings of the city. It was peaceful and beautiful. 

"I meant what I said before Erin, I really did. I like having you around, it makes me feel like I am not the monster that most others see me as." Bruce said. 

"I told you Brucie, you are not a monster, you are perfect the way you are. Don't hide away, don't change, don't feel that no one loves you, because I do. You are the best and kindest person I know with the purest soul to match. If they do think that you are this terrorising monster then they are idiots." 

After my little speech my eyes searched Bruce's looking for his reaction. I felt his fingers gently run across my jawline and slowly lean in closer to me. I felt my heart pounding in my chest. However the moment was then broken by the sound of glass smashing the other side of the door. We ran inside to find a drunk Tony trying to clear up a bottle of whatever he was drinking that was now on the floor. 

I ran over and grabbed a dustpan and brush, "Tony move, I will do this, you're going to hurt yourself." I then proceeded to clean up the shattered glass and put it in one of the bins. 

He then stumbled back into his room leaving me in the living room. I did not notice that Bruce had left until I had turned around and found he was no longer there. I checked on the balcony and he was not there, I then decided to check to see if he was in his room. 

I walked down the corridor leading to his room and was about to knock on the closed door when I heard some soft snoring from within. I decided to let him rest, he needed some sleep as did I, so I headed to my own room and fell asleep.