Chapter 36: At least you got into the finals

"All of the first-year events for this year's UA sports festival have been completed. And now, we will begin the award ceremony!"

Cheers filled the air, but I could help but feel unaccomplished.

I didn't even get into the finals. Because of a game of chance.

This was infuriating.

Maybe only mildly so, as my anger paled to annoyance when compared with Bakugo.

What sounded like fireworks went off all around, and music was played.

All way too loud. And it was muffled.

Maybe it was because I banged my head.

Or because sending emotions to Tokoyami's Dark Shadow left me with a slight headache.

I had definitely improved.

At the entrance exam, I had a pounding headache when I hadn't used my quirk quite as much.

But, I would probably wake up with a migraine, if we're just considering the sheer amount of people and emotions here.

We began rising, and rose into a cloud of smoke.

"Wow..."

"What the heck?"

The smoke cleared, and I knew they were talking about Bakugo.

His strings of swear words were all but muted with his mouth covered, and his arms and hands were trapped with some form of elaborate handcuff.

He was pissed.

"He's been struggling ever since waking up. But man... that first place is all over the place."

I wished I was slightly higher— so that I could hit him to shut him up.

I glanced across to where Todoroki stood. I had only heard about what went down during their fight.

He had basically given up.

I wonder what was going through his mind when he did that.

He looked resigned, and I felt bad.

"Hey," he glanced at me as I whispered, "chin up, at least you got into the finals."

He smiled slightly.

"I couldn't because I lost a game of chance!"

His smile grew almost imperceptibly.

A real, genuine smile.

My heart lifted.

"In addition to (L/N), there is also Iida in third place, but he left early for family reasons. (L/N) also lost by chance, not difference in skill. Thank you for your understanding!"

Midnight addressed the reporters taking pictures of us.

This sucked. The flashing lights made me dizzy, and made my headache worse.

Get used to it. Most pro heroes deal with the media on the daily.

I blew a piece of confetti that was falling out of my face, before giving the cameras my best smile.

It was better to be approachable.

"Now, we will award the medals! The presentation of the medals will, of course, be by this man!"

She pointed, and a familiar laugh filled the air.

All Might.

The crowd erupted into cheers, filled to the brim with excitement.