Chapter 17

"That was your big plan?" Myra bit at Hades while they walked through the streets, people running away from them left and right. " Try to pry yourself through the barrier? I told you, you should've dived through. At least that would've worked." The old God didn't respond, just rolled his eyes in annoyance. "You know, if you would've let me leave with them I could've helped you. Use my flute to control Mal so she wouldn't have kicked your ass in front of the entire Isle."
     "Or you'd have used your flute against me. Can't you see I do not trust you?" 
     "You don't trust anyone." 
     "That's because you can't." Hades scolded the girl, abruptly turning to Myra, face only inches from hers. "And you never should. Especially no pretty little girls, like yourself. The only thing they have to do is wink their eyelashes at a strong, naive guy and they'll get everything they want." 
     "Well, maybe you shouldn't have made Meg spent time with the only guy that could ruin your plan." Hades' eyes spit fire at Myra. Figuratively, even though they probably really would've if they hadn't been trapped on the Isle. 
     Myra had expected the man to burn her, but it seemed like the whole thing with Mal had exhausted the little power he had left. So instead he hit the back of her head with a flat hand. Myra flinched, but didn't give him the satisfaction of hearing her yelp in pain. "Meg played her cards right, I give her that. But that just thought me not to let my souls out of my sight. That means you, Darling."
     "I know you're talking about me." Myra spat back. "I'm the only one here." Hades chuckled before he turned on his heels, gesturing the girl to follow him with one hand. Not seeing any other choice, Myra followed. 

The Pied Piper's daughter wasn't aloud to leave Hades's cave for the rest of the day. Well, at least not until he had woken up from his nap time. Myra's task was to stand guard. The God of the Dead never really needed her to do it, but it was his way of punishment. A very long, very boring, punishment. No one who wasn't aloud inside would ever try to get inside the most feared male villain's house was stupid enough to even try. 
     The only one who seemed to enjoy the guarding was Lunch. Who would always run around the dark space, looking for scratches of food or the company of other rats. Myra herself was stationed on one of the higher, bigger ridges of the cave. Just around the corner of the entrance. No one would be able to see her from that point, but also wouldn't be able to go far once inside. Not that it mattered. No one ever had been foolish enough to as much as try. At least until then. 
     Myra hadn't really been paying attention, but then the high pitched screech of metal against metal echoed against the walls, followed by a whispering voice. 
     "Okay, stay quiet. It echoes, like, crazy in here." Myra immediately recognized Celia's voice. Of course she realized Celia had been talking to someone, so before she would reveal herself the girl peaked around the corner, still from her high spot. It took a moment before she realized who Celia had brought with her. But the purple hair was unmistakable. It was Mal. The two girls walked further into the cave, until the recording of barking and growling dogs echoed all around them. It startled Mal, making her jump and look around for any danger.
     "Ow, chill Mal. It's just a recording, there are no dogs on the Isle, remember?"
      The two froze and Celia visible tensed up, knowing who it was. "Shit..." She whispered. 
     "Yeah," Myra said, jumping down in front of the two. "Shit." 
     Mal seemed surprised to see the young woman. "Myra? What are you doing here? Are you working for Hades now?" 
     "Unfortunately." Lunch jumped down from the cave, right on Myra's head. Once the animal had crawled to his place on her shoulder Mal got her attention back to her old friend.
     "What?" Mal questioned in disbelieve. "Why? No, wait. Why didn't you show up? You could've left this place." 
     "I was gonna. Only someone told good ol' Hades I was planning on leaving without permission." Myra made sure all the boiled up anger in that sentence got directed to Celia. She would have yelled, but Dr. Facilier's daughter had been right when she said the cave echoed and she didn't want to wake up Hades. Not yet at least. 
     "I didn't know he was gonna make you stay." Celia defended herself.
     "Lier!" Myra whisper-yelled. "We both knew he wasn't going to let me leave. You were the person to point that out last time we talked. Probably right before you sold me out, am I right?"
     "Celia, is this true?" Mal asked the girl, looking at her with what seemed like disappointment. 
     "Well, yeah. But I just wanted to make sure others were given a chance to leave this place." 
     "No, you wanted to make sure you could leave the Isle." Myra pointed out. "If I couldn't go someone else could, and you hoped that someone would be you." Celia didn't answer, and neither did Mal. "You know what, Cee. If you would've just talked to me about it I would gladly have given you my place. But right now? I just feel like throwing you in with the sharks." The words itself didn't sound very threatening, especially since they weren't even close to the sea. But something in Myra's voice, combined with the deadly glimmer in her eyes got Celia speechless. Staring at the other girl with fear. 
     "Enough." Mal interrupted. "Look, Myra. I don't know what's going on with you two, and Hades. But we can talk about this later. Right now we need to get Hades' Ember before he wakes up and our job becomes a hell of a lot more difficult." 
     Myra moved away from Celia, looking at Mal with a deep frown and questioning eyes. "Why?" 
     "Audrey, Sleeping Beauty's daughter. She freaked out, stole my mother's scepter and put a sleeping curse over Auradon. We've no idea what she's gonna do next and the only thing that can help us stop her from ruining the Kingdom is the Ember." 
     "Princess gone bad, he?" Myra stated, even though it sounded like a question. The girl shook her head to re-arrange her thoughts. "So, you want me to just, let you guys steal my boss's most valuable possession. Risking my own skin, again. So you can go save Sugar Kingdom from a spoiled brad with an anger tantrum?" 
     Mal was silent for a moment, then a hesitant smile came on her lips. "Yes, please..." 
     Myra exchanged a look with Lunch, then she shrugged. "Sure, go ahead." 
     "Really?" Mal questioned, finding Myra's actions a bit suspicious. 
     "Yeah, go ahead. Honestly. I don't really care, just don't wake him up. He gets cranky and might kill ya for it." 
     Relieved, Mal let out a deep sigh. "Thank you." 
     "Don't thank me." Myra answered, climbing back up to her ridge. "For as far as I'm concerned I've never seen you two before in my life." Mal chuckled and started walking again. "Ow, and Celia. I'm not done with you yet, but it can wait until after you helped our Royal highness. Who knows, maybe Hades will do it for me." 
     Celia didn't react and just followed Mal. A feeling of guilt krept through the young girl's body, but she wasn't going to let anyone know that.