Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 28 // 𝑀𝑒𝑚𝑜𝑟𝑖𝑒𝑠

Start from the beginning

I jump out of my bed and quickly make my way into the bathroom, taking a quick bath. I get dressed in a pair of black jeans and a plain white formal shirt, toss two Advils with water, and rush down the stairs.

"Mom, I'm going to attend the auction," I tell my mom and start walking out of the house when she calls after me, "At least have some breakfast."

"No Mom. I don't have time for breakfast but don't worry. I'll just go grab a coffee." I assure her and leave the house. I drive to Starbucks, grab a freshly brewed coffee, and then make my way towards the abandoned house. I walk through the woods with coffee in hand and anxiety in mind and reach the old house. When I reach there, I see some arrangements made for the bidders and I take a seat at the back. I glance around to see Mr. Johnson, Mrs. Evans, some other people from our neighborhood, and a few unknown faces.

The bidding starts soon after at Five thousand dollars.

"Five thousand dollars going for once," The auctioneer says and Mr. Johnson interrupts by calling, "Six thousand dollars."

The auctioneer then continues, "Six thousand dollars going for once, Six thousand dollars going for twice,"

"Six thousand five hundred dollars," A person from the crowd yells and so it continues going up to Eight thousand dollars when finally comes a voice, "Ten thousand dollars." grabbing everyone's attention. People turn around to look at the fool who agreed on such a large amount for an old abandoned house.

I'm stunned as well but then I realize, it was me who said it.
.
"Ten thousand dollars going for once, Ten thousand dollars going for twice, Ten thousand dollars going for thrice. And sold to the young man at the back." The auctioneer declares.

Soon the people start leaving and I sign the ownership papers. The seller of the house isn't like I expected him to be. He is an old cheerful guy with wrinkles on his face and hands.

"Why would a young and smart man like you spend so much money on an old abandoned house?" He asks me and I give a short answer, "This house holds a lot of my childhood memory with my best friend. I'm sorry for invading your space back then because I didn't know it had an owner."

"Yeah, I took a look at the house a few days ago when I arrived here and I saw how well the interior of the house was decorated. It felt like it was someone's home and I wanted to find out whose. That's why I held the auction in the first place." The old man says as I try to interpret what he meant. He must be angry seeing someone else using his place without permission.

"I'm really sorry." I apologize again but he surprises me by saying, "No, no. Don't apologize. I'm happy you made this place home again."

"What?" I ask confused and he explains. "I used to stay here with my wife and family years ago. I and my wife made a lot of memories here together, we had our kids at this place. They grew up here and went to other states for job purposes. I grew old with my wife here but then one day, she died in a car accident. I was devastated and sad and then my son and his wife decided to take me along with them to New York. I was sad to leave this house like this and go because of the memories I had at this place. I often thought about this place, being a nothing now back in New York and that made me sad. But when my son said he was coming to Austin for his business, I decided to accompany him. And then when that day, I finally got to see this place being someone's home, it made me happy. I'm happy you used this house well, son, and I want you to accept this house as a gift from me and my wife to you and your best friend."

"You what? Does that mean, I don't have to pay for this house anymore?" I ask him with happiness and confusion and he nods, giving me a warm smile. "It belongs to you now, on papers too. Take good care of it."

"I will," I assure him, as my smile reaches my ears. I couldn't have probably let go of the last memory of Rachel so easily and now that I officially owned the place, it made me feel a lot happier

The house owner leaves as soon as the paperwork is over. I walk inside the house and all the memories of me and Rachel come rushing back to me like nostalgia. I come out of the house and take a look around the house to see the damage that has to be repaired and then I start cleaning up the part that's possible for me. Later, I order some pizza and cold drinks for my lunch and I spend the remainder of the evening cleaning up the house until I see the sun setting slowly.

I grab my stuff and turn to leave when suddenly I notice an old Letterbox hanging there, with a letter half inside, half outside. I slowly walk towards it to see the letter covered in a lot of dust. I place all my belongings on the staircase of the old house and undo the screws with the tools I brought earlier. I dust the soil with an old piece of cloth and slowly open the box to see a pile of letters in it.

Curiosity consumes me, as I pick one Letter and open it.

Dear Lucas, it reads. My heart starts beating faster at the sight of my name and my eyes instantly go below to find the person who wrote it.
.

.

.

Yours lovingly,
Rachel.

My mouth feels bone dry as I pull a desk for myself, and sit down on it. A shiver runs down my spine as I start reading the letters, crossing my fingers.

_________________________________________

Finally, the moment we have been waiting for, for so long, has come.
Are you excited about it?
Let me know in the comments.

And don't forget to vote if you liked the chapter.

Have a fab day:)