Chapter 9

I woke up in a room that was strange to me. The room was silent except for small sobs which came from someone whose presence I felt. I tried to open my eyes slowly, squinting in an attempt to clear the blurred ceiling before me.

"Where.. am.. I..?" I managed to utter. My head felt numb.

"Doctor she's awake! She's awake!"

I heard a croaky voice scream. It sounded like mama.

I attempted to sit up and I felt a sharp pain between my thighs. I looked around and discovered that I was in a hospital room. The room smelt of hospital disinfectant. I checked the clock on the wall, it was noon.
I tried to remember what happened. The memory hit me with a bang. I covered my face with my hands and wept bitterly.

Mama came back into the room with a female doctor on a white coat, followed by Idara. Mama came to my bedside and held me firmly, she cried with me.

"You will be fine." Mama said, snapping me out of my thoughts. Her voice was brittle.

Idara was by the corner weeping too. I could see the sadness filled with anger, in her eyes.

"Who brought me here?" I ask softly.

"He said his name is Ferdinand." The doctor said.

"I am Doctor Uloma. You were rushed in here yesterday at 9:30pm in a state of unconsciousness." She paused.

"To begin with, you will be physically examined carefully. The minor injuries sustained will be treated. You will be checked for STDs. Finally, don't clean up until some semen has been collected so that your attacker will be identified and.."

"No please. I don't want the case to go that far." I cut her off. She remained calm.

"What?! Why? Do you know the implications involved?" Mama said, irritated.

"Why Ima-obong? We need to know who did this so that they will be apprehended! Or you tell us yourself!" Idara said. Her eyes were filled with fury.

I shook my head in disagreement. "I will like the whole issue to stay between us." I managed to say, in between sobs. 

I didn't say anything anymore. I just held my knees and hid my face in shame. I was terribly frustrated. "Why did this happen to me? Why did he rape me? I thought he was a good person. What if I fall pregnant? So I just lost my virginity in such a gruesome way." So many thoughts ran through my mind. I cried hard.

"She will have to take some birth control pills." Doctor Uloma said and scribbled some things on the file in her hand.

I nodded.

"Oh God oo! My God will punish that person who did this to my daughter! It will never be well with them! May they suffer miserably in their lifetime!" Mama cursed painfully.

The doctor gave some vivid instructions to the nurse who came to tend to my wounds. I winced in discomfort as the nurse handled my body. When she was done, I felt much better. I gathered strength and jumped out of the bed and plummet towards the door. Idara held me back with her firm hands.

"Where do you think you are going?"

"I can't stay here anymore. I'm going home."

"Don't be a fool. First you won't tell us the name of the nincompoop who is responsible for this. Now you can't sit your ass down to get properly treated?" She snapped at me. I just stared at her in disbelief.

"Sorry. I don't mean that." She collected herself and mentally smacked herself for being mean in a time like this.

"Listen to your friend Ima. Let's wait for what the doctor has to say first. Let's not rush things." Mama said softly.